Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chantelle1212 Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Apr 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
    I'm 14 and I'm seeing an 18 year old. Can my boyfriend be charged with statatory rape?
    I'm 14 and I'm seeing an 18 year old. I live in canada. I looked this up but I'm not sure if my resourses are good.
    Close-in-age—while most legislation dealing with age of consent sets a single age under which sexual relations are illegal, some jurisdictions (such as Canada[4]), have adopted close-in-age exemptions. In Canada the age of consent is 16, but there are two close-in-age exemptions: teenagers who are 14 or 15 may have sex with a partner who is less than five years older, and children aged 12 and 13 may have sex with a partner who is less than two years older. In the United States, these exceptions are colloquially known as "Romeo and Juliet" laws.

Is this OK? Am I covered by the close in age thing? Or can my boyfreind be charged with statatory rape?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 07:56 PM

Nope 18 is a adult and he will be in jail with a new "girlfriend" named bubba.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Hi, chantelle1212!

From where did you get the quotes of statutes, please?

Thanks!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:08 PM

He can get charged with statutory rape if the two of you had sex because he is a legal adult and you are a minor.

And if your parents disapprove it could get messy. There's no reason that I can think of why an 18-year-old guy would want to date a 14-year-old girl for any reason other than sex. It's a sad truth. The only other thing that occurs to me is that he's VERY immature and looking to get some, or manipulative and looking to get some.
    I say if you really care about him then break up with him to avoid the risk of him getting sent to jail.
    Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 08:10 PM

And beyond rape, there is interference with custody if parents have a problem and you go off with him against their wishes ( since he is an adult and you are a child)

Apr 8, 2010, 08:16 PM

Clough

I can't find the exact site that I found it but here is another quote with the link

It is important to understand that The Criminal Code of Canada does not criminalize non-exploitative, consensual sexual activity with or between persons who are 16 years of age or older, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with young persons can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. The law still allows consensual activity where the complainant is 12 years of age or more but under the age of 14 years, amending subsection 150.1(2) to simply state that the accused must be less than two years older than the complainant.

A new subsection, 150.1(2.1), sets out new rules where the complainant is 14 years of age or more but under the age of 16 years. In these circumstances the accused must be less than five years older than the complainant (the so-called “close in age” exception) or be married to the complainant. There is another new subsection, 150.1(2.2), that makes transitional provisions for an accused referred to in subsection 150.1(2.1) who is five or more years older than the complainant. In this case the defence of consent may be used successfully if the accused is the common-law partner of the complainant, or has been cohabiting with the complainant in a conjugal relationship for a period of less than one year and has had or is expecting to have a child as a result of the relationship.

Canada's new laws-sexual consent - Political Forums
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And beyond rape, there is interference with custody if parents have a problem and you go off with him against thier wishes ( since he is an adult and you are a child)
    I had to spread the rep but I was going to say something like that, because I saw someone (probably you) had posted it on a previous board, but I wasn't sure if I should. Good call. :)
    Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 08:22 PM

14 and 18 are not close, there may be a difference in the sentence since he is under 5 years, so he only does one year not 10.
    And of course he can use that in his defense by his attorney after they change him and he has sat in jail till he makes a bond.

Apr 8, 2010, 08:29 PM

I know that he just doesn't "want some" because we've been together for a wile and he hasn't touched me. He's not that kind of guy. Its serious but not that serious. I just need to know these things because I really like him and I don't know what to do. Someone said to break up with him if I really care about him..
    But I want to get all of my facts straight and see if I can avoid that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chantelle1212 View Post
    i know that he just doesnt "want some" because we've been together for a wile and he hasnt touched me. hes not that kind of guy. its serious but not that serious. i just need to know these things because i really like him and i dont know what to do. someone said to break up with him if i really care about him..
    but i want to get all of my facts straight and see if i can avoid that.
    Well here's my question for you. Do your parents know and do they approve? How long has "A while" been?

Apr 8, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Well here's my question for you. Do your parents know and do they approve? How long has "A while" been?
    My mom knows him, but doesn't know that were together. A wiles been almost 5 months
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:42 PM

Don't worry he will... Do you're parents really know about this guy? You need to be grounded and made to stay at hme till you understand you are playing with fire.

You are much too young to date but I see by the slang you use you must know something about it. Stay on the porch with the puppies little girl, the big dogs are much to old for you
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
    my mom knows him, but doesnt know that were together. a wiles been almost 5 months

BAD call.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    BAD call.

When did you start dating? Give yourself time to grow up. If the guy hasn't made a pass maybe he knows he'll get into trouble and you are enabling him. Grow up kid and maybe when you're sixteen you'll find someone who is your age,:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    When did you start dating? Give yourself time to grow up. If the guy hasn't made a pass maybe he knows he'll get into trouble and you are enabling him. Grow up kid and maybe when you're sixteen you'll find someone who is your age,:rolleyes:
    That's most definitely a good way to put it. :)

Apr 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Don't worry he will... Do you're parents really know about this guy? You need to be grounded and made to stay at hme till you understand you are playing with fire.

You are much too young to date but I see by the slang you use you must know something about it. Stay on the porch with the puppies little girl, the big dogs are much to old for you
    I'm not a little girl and I'm mature for my age. I've been through more in my life than most people go through in a life time. I know how it must seem to you guys but that's because your not me and you don't know my boyfriend.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:58 PM
    im not a little girl and im mature for my age. ive been through more in my life than most ppl go through in a life time. i know how it must seem to you guys but thats because your not me and you dont know my boyfriend.
    The first two lines have been used since forever. They're clichés and I don't give mucy sympathy to general statements that anyone can make. You have to tell me more than that. Especially since most of the time it's young teens that use them. For some reason every teenager thinks that their troubls are worse and more important than anyone else's. I'm not saying you haven't been through some tough stuff, I'm sure you have, but those are very arrogant statements, and it's just irritating to me that one so young as yourself thinks that she has lived long enough to experience the really hard stuff, and that for some reason, you are the ONLY one to go through those situations. Seeing as you're only 14, most people your age haven't really experienced real life. I can be positive that out of all of th 6.5 billion people in this world, the majority of them have been through more in their lifetimes than you have in your 14 years.

EDIT: please don't take this as completely disregarding your situations, because I'm not, but the statements in general irritate me. If you need to talk about the rough stuff, I'll be more than glad to be supportive and helpful.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
    im not a little girl and im mature for my age. ive been through more in my life than most ppl go through in a life time. i know how it must seem to you guys but thats because your not me and you dont know my boyfriend.
    Tell us about you sweetie.. What are some of the things you have gone through? We don't know you! You don'tknow us! You want advice we'll give you advice! I just hate to see a kid throw her life down the drain. What sort of grades do you make? What is your GPA? Where is your Dad?

Apr 8, 2010, 09:05 PM

My dad was murdered when I was eleven. That is where my dad is. Less than a year later my sister was diognosed with lukimia. Tell me that I haven't been through a lot. I make straight a's except for the odd b. you want to here about what I've been through ohsohappy, {personal info edited out}
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 09:09 PM
    my dad was murdered when i was eleven. that is where my dad is. less than a year later my sister was diognosed with lukimia. tell me that i havent been through a lot. i make straight a's except for the odd b. you want to here about what ive been through ohsohappy,
    As I've stated before, I believe that you've been through a lot, I just hate general statements. If you wish to discuss your feelings about these things there are forums for Beravement and family& people. That would be where they would be better discussed. I am in no way disregarding your situations, just the statements. I have my reasons for that, it's nothing personal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it rape for a 23 year old man to have sex with a 16 year old girl ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, Is it considered statutory rape for a 23 year old man too have sex or even date a 16 year old girl..?

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

Sexual contact between a 14 year old and a 16 year old and being charged [ 4 Answers ]

My Son was charged a couple years ago at the age of 16 with sexual contact with a 14 year old girl in Connecticut and is now on the registry for 10 years. He is now 19 and can not get a job, has no health insurance and his life is a mess. He has been staying out of trouble. The problem is that...

15 year Rape [ 3 Answers ]

I was raped 15 years ago by a man in Jamaica and would like to know if there is anything I can do at this point? At the time I was scared and only 15 years old. If I located him (which I believe I did), is there anything I can do to make sure he doesn't continue this with other young girls on the...

Could I be charged for statutory rape? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello my name is Lauren Here's the story when I was 16 I met a boy who was 15 and after we have been dating we started having sex. Now I am 17 and 4 1/2 months pregnant with his baby which was the last time we had intercourse and it was 2 weeks before his 16th b-day we have been in a...

View more questions Search