Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Working_on_my_home Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC
    I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work with PCV, can I do that? Does anyone know pros or cons on this?

Thanks
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Probably not. I need to know more, how much do you want to swap out?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
    What exactly do you plan? Any replacement ductwork would need to be the same size. Even slightly smaller ducts would be much more restrictive.
    Working_on_my_home Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 07:48 AM
    I have a 12' section that I want to replace with possible 4" PVC pipe that I can route through my joists. This will allow me to put in a zero clerance drop celling and thus a bathroom in my basement. So I woul keep the current shet metal from the furnance/ac plenium out for about 10 feet, then convert to PVC or something that I can route through the joinsts fro about 12' then go back to the shet metal from the rest of the run.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 11:04 AM
    PVC duct unless listed are not approved for air movement is a residential structure. I know of no pvc duct that is listed at this time. Fire hazzard will not maintail fire blocking between floor levels like metal.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Dec 4, 2006, 01:04 PM
    You cannot go through the joists with anything.But you can go between them with ductwork... There are many sizes of metal ductwork that will do the job...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement 4" PVC stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I posted a while back about doing a basement bathroom and am about to start the project. I was wondering if there is a rule or code that requires the 4"PVC stack to extend all the way to the joists in the basement before going with a reducing bushing to take off with the vent, OR, can I save...

Flexi Duct vrs Aluminum Duct [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding an addition onto my house. The local building inspector has already told me my HVAC unit is more than adequate in size to support the addition. The old duct vents are aluminum. Can or should I use flexi venting in the new part? What are the pros and cons of these two types of vent...

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

Shifting Duct in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to the world of home ownership and have a question about shifting the main duct line in our basement. Currently the duct line runs down the center of the basement ceiling and we'd like to move it over 24" to achieve more head room. Unfortunately (for me) this requires a new piece of 59"...

View more questions Search