Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Apr 8, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Doggie constipation
    The new dog we have is terribly constipated. It takes the poor thing at least 10min to poo out a tiny bit. The poor thing strains and strains and almost nothing comes out. I figure the new diet at our house is causing this along with the fact she had surg a month ago. Any tips on things to feed her to soften things up?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 10:34 AM

Is he getting plenty of fresh water and exercise?
    Is their any hair obstructing it from coming out?
    Is he in any pain? Crying?

If he is pain, I would take him to the vet, he might have eaten something, but most likely it's because of the surgery.
    Did your surgery package say anything about constipation?
    First call your vet for advice over the phone, if that doesn't help I would suggest the following. But I'm not the pet expert, she is in Australia and probably sleeping right now.:)

Canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) just purée pumpkin, depending on his size a couple Tablespoons in his food or a couple teaspoons olive/canola oil.

Apr 8, 2010, 11:32 AM

Thank you! She doesn't cry out so I don't know how painful it is. She is a rescue dog we took in and I am trying to get as much advice as I can.
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Apr 8, 2010, 01:13 PM

Lots of water, you can put some peas in her dog food also. Make sure no hair mattes around the outbox
    What kind of dog is it? IS it a dachshund, small dogs are prone to digestive problems, some require medication from the vet or even surgery.
    I will never get a "toy" dog in my life again. In my opinion those breeders should be shut down, cruel to the animal, they have nothing but health problems.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 06:09 PM

Are the stools runny or hard? What color are they?

With her 'smelling', shaking and the constipation, I think you need to get her a check up. All of this is starting to add up to possible serious health problems.

Apr 9, 2010, 06:35 AM

The stools are hard.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 08:20 AM

You could try feeding her yogurt. A small dog would need a decent soup spoons worth.

Sometimes yogurt just helps things move along.. Kind of like what it does to us when we're feeling a bit constipated. Ive used it before.. Works pretty good.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 08:26 AM

Vegetable oil can also help.
    It tends to loosen things up and lubricate.

It's good for their skin and coat too.

Just add a tablespoon or so to his food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Doggie dandruff [ 10 Answers ]

My puppy has had dandruff ever since we got her 3 months ago when we got her she had little fur on the back of her thighs on her buttock and I though maybe it was just because she was a puppy it grew in eventually and I relaxed and though the dandruff would go away. Then I did some research and I...

Doggie stroke? [ 3 Answers ]

My 2 year weeny dog seems to have lost her balance, or coordination in her bottom half... she also seems to be leaking urine. I don't know if she ate something bad or maybe she had some kind of stroke. All the vets are closed right now. Does anything sound familiar to anyone? Please Help

Doggie pool [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old cockapoo doesn't know how to swim and I was wondering if there are any designated doggie pools anywhere. She followed another dog into a pond where she almost drown. I can't teach her as I don't swim. I am in the Boston, Massachusetts area.

Doggie COnstipation [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 year old Caring has had trouble having a bowel movement for a few days now. Her appetite is good and she seems fine otherwise but she strains and strains with no results. We even gave her an infant suppository with no results. She is on a raw diet and usually goes only every two or three...

Doggie constipation? [ 3 Answers ]

SO... now that Annie my black lab took her de-worming (for tapeworms) medication from the vet she hasn't gone poop. I gave it to her Tuesday around noon, is this normal? She has usually gone 1-2 times a day, now not at all... what to do?

View more questions Search