Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregstax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Mandatory Withdrawel while Still Employed and contributing to 401K
    I will turn 70 1/2 next March - I will be continuing to work - my company and I both contribute to my 401K. I also have an IRA that was funded from a rollover from a prior company. Since I am not planning to retire for at least 5 more years, will I be required to start pulling the mandatory amount from both the 401K and the IRA or just from the IRA?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 07:10 AM

You are required to make the minimum distributions from the IRA, but not necessarily from the 401(k) until you retire. According to the IRS: 401(k) Resource Guide - Plan Participants - General Distribution Rules

Minimum Distribution ... The required beginning date is April 1 of the first year after the later of the following years:

- Calendar year in which you reach age 70½.
    - Calendar year in which you retire.

However, a plan may require you to begin receiving distributions by April 1 of the year after you reach age 70½, even if you have not retired. [Emphasis mine]

So talk to your plan administrator to see what the rules are for your specific plan. By the way - you are not required to make these withdrawals until April 2011 (since you turn 70-1/2 in 2010).

[EDIT] - Upon rereadoing the original post, I see you are turning 70-1/2 "next March," which I assume means March 2011. So any minimum distribution isn't required until April 2012.
    gregstax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Thank you ebaines for your insight as stated I will check with the plan adminsitrator

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maryland Tax % on 401K withdrawel [ 4 Answers ]

The company I used to work for is closing down, I have some money in a 401k I want payment directly to me, how much tax% should I allow for Maryland Tax? My Federal is 20% according to form.

Early 401K withdrawel [ 1 Answers ]

Can you close out your 401K even if you are still employed? I am fortunate to have not lost my job, but we work on a "production bonus" and have not been running for several months now. I am making less than 10.00 an hour and have gotten behind on basically every bill. I have plenty in my 401K,...

401 k mandatory withdrawel [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I find and what's the formula that determines how much I have to withdraw FROM MY 401k now that I'm 70 1/2 years old? Rich Parry

Early 401k Withdrawel [ 1 Answers ]

I would like a total distribution of my 401k. I am still employed and under the age of 59 1/2. Merrill Lynch is trying to tell me I am not eligible, therefore refusing to give me my own money. I understand the 10% penalty, fine. Reasons I seek to cash out are not relevant. I just want my...

About Early withdrawel on 401k [ 1 Answers ]

What is the penality for early withdrawel for first time home buyers, I was penalised 30% 20 for early & 10% for taxes I this correct

View more questions Search