Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 3, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Another sewer gas problem
    Ok, I am looking for help with sewer gas in my basement. My house is approximately 55 years old. I have a ranch house with two full baths (stacked). The gas appears to be coming from the stack pipe (cast iron) which is just outside the basement bathroom. I have checked the basement bathroom several times and don't believe the gas is coming from there. Also, all drains are unctioning correctly. In addition, only the upstairs toilet is vented, there is no vent pipe that ties in from the downstairs. I am wondering if cast iron joints go bad as in dry out or shrink ? I do not see any evidence of fluid leakage at this time.

Thanks for any help you can offer
    lynn nelson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Check for drain traps in basement, floor, sink,etc. if they are not used much they dry outand will smell. Just pour some water down these drains to fill the traps znd that will solve your problems

Dec 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
    MMm. I wish it was that easy, I already checked all floor drains, and there are none in the vicinity of the smell source. Also the lower bathroom is used daily.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2006, 02:17 PM
    If you have a bath room sink in the basement bath then,chances are, your toilet's vented. Smells and noises are the hardest to track down if you're not there to do it. Is the smell worse after you flush? Some times a wax seal will prevent water from escaping but not sewer gas. Regards, Tom

Dec 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
    I have looked over the entire system, ceiling removed etc. and there is no downstairs vent what-so-ever. I have checked both the shower drain and toilet (very closely) and it does not appear to come from there. Does not matter if after flush or hours later it seems.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Your only other option would be to call in outside help. Good luck, Tom

Dec 3, 2006, 02:44 PM
    I guess my main question is, is it common for cast iron joints to shrink and/or leak ? And can they be repaired easliy if so ?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Cast iron lead and okum joints do not, as a rule, shrink and allow sewer gas to escape. However, opening up a wall and smelling might prove me wrong. Tom

Dec 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Ok, I have located the source of my sewer gas. At the base of my stack(cast-iron) where it goes through the floor it is mortared into terra-cotta it apears; and the mortar joint has cracked up. So I guess my new question is, is there a better way to make that joint now? Or should I just use mortar again?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2006, 04:24 PM
    If this were my call I would CAREFULLY chip out the old motar,(Terra-Cotta's very brittle), and replace with new mortar. I would then paint the joint with roof cement for additional insurance Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Sewer Gas Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Joe M]Hi speedball1, I found you in a Google search I was doing this morning and you seem pretty knowledgeable about plumbing. Hoping you can help me with a question re. sewer gas. Ever since we put in a front load high efficiency washer, we smell sewer gas when using the machine. I'm...

Sewer gas in office [ 1 Answers ]

I work in an old storefront barbershop. The office is connected through a back room to a larger building with other offices. When it rains, it is very windy or sometimes simply overcast we get the nastiest smelling sewer gas smell coming from the back room (I think, at least that is where is...

Sewer Gas Odors [ 1 Answers ]

We had our drain field replaced last year and have noticed sewer gas smells when we walk around the outside of the house. I think the smells are coming from the roof vents. We never had the problem before, The drainfield was replaced because of saturation and did backup once into the basement. Any...

Sewer Gas Odor Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Ranch home with large 2 sink, shower, and toilet master bathroom. Only when it gets cold out, I have problem with backup of septic gas. I live in FL. Toilet is vented to roof. Roof vent is clear. Is it too short? Do I have a sewer line break? Bad seal on toilet? Ordor seems to come from sink and...

View more questions Search