Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gibbsguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Can my boss make me pay for a door I accidentally damaged?
    I work in construction and I accidentally dented a door, can he make me pay for it or deduct the pay right from my check?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 7, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Depends on your contract of employment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 06:32 PM

Depends on several things, if they can't make you pay, they can merely fire you if you don't of course.

So much would depend on how it happened. But making an employee pay for items they damage in a customers home is fairly common
    sohotitsscary Posts: 91, Reputation: 5

Apr 7, 2010, 06:47 PM

No a boss can't do that!! That's what insurance is for... what if the door had fallen on you would he make you pay for it then!!

Can he prove you did it?

Humans spend best part of their lives worrying about things that never happen so don't worry about it unless he tells you different

If you want you can blame me and I'll tell him what he can do with his bandy door, just say a drunk irish chick did it
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 07:01 PM

Accidents happen and insurance is something to look in to, but the bottom line is, can you afford to be unemployed in today's economy?

How much is the door? Is it worth getting fired for? That's the main question.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2010, 07:04 PM

Hello G:

There is no law that prevents him from making you pay.

excon
    Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sohotitsscary View Post
    no a boss can't do that!!! thats what insurance is for .... what if the door had fallen on you would he make you pay for it then!!!

can he prove you did it??

humans spend best part of their lives worrying about things that never happen so dont worry about it unless he tells you different

if you want you can blame me and i'll tell him what he can do with his bandy door, just say a drunk irish chick did it

We pride ourself with good legal advice, these are not blogs or chat sites. If you have knowledge of the legal aspect please share it. Most of our experts on the legal sites are attorneys, investigators, prior police officers, real estate or insurance agents who are involved in these areas of work.

Your answer is totally wrong.

Yes they have insurance but most business insurance has at least 1000 dollar deductable, many even higher. But will always have some deductable.
    And if insurance pays, they can always go back to the person who did it, to get paid back.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 07:45 PM

Comments on this post
    Sohotitsscary disagrees: all answers opinion not legal advice
    If you read the rules of the site, you are only to give out reddies if the answer is completely wrong, not based on opinion, I see no reason for this reddie. Consider the fact that he COULD have given you one but chose to respond with a quote rather than "disagree" it is a courtesy around here not to give them on opinions. Greenies are fine, Reddies not so much.

Apr 7, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    If you read the rules of the site, you are only to give out reddies if the answer is completely wrong, not based on opinion, I see no reason for this reddie. Consider the fact that he COULD have given you one but chose to respond with a quote rather than "disagree" it is a courtesy around here not to give them on opinions. greenies are fine, Reddies not so much.
    Rules are made to broken... I simply bend them to suit ME
    Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 07:47 PM

Don't worry, I was trying to be nice and not give a official warning. I also have my "reddie" point counter turned off so reddies don't effect me

Yes, I like this one a lot better than the nun, was getting tired of thatone.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
    rules are made to broken ... i simply bend them to suit ME
    Well just to let you know, if you break too many rules, someone will kick you off the site, so make sure you're respectful to the other members on here. Do whatever you want, but just remember that actions have concequences, so make sure you're prepared to deal with them if you feel you're above the rules. ;)

Apr 7, 2010, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Well just to let you know, if you break too many rules, someone will kick you off the site, so make sure you're respectful to the other members on here. Do whatever you want, but just remember that actions have concequences, so make sure you're prepared to deal with them if you feel you're above the riles. ;)
    I shall do it with a smile on my face :)

Thanks for the warning

You shouldn't take life so serious
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:32 PM
    i shall do it with a smile on my face :)

thanks for the warning

you shouldnt take life so serious
    You're not above the rules, no one is. The only people that think rules are made to be broken are children and people that do not care about the law (after all, the law is just rules).

You may think it's a joke or that you're above it all, but you agreed to the rules when you signed on to this site. If one person is allowed to break the rules then chaos ensues. This site is what it is because of the rules.

If you want to do whatever you want and not follow the rules, there are many sites out there that have no moderation at all. I've been a member of sites like that. It was horrible.

So choose, but be aware that you are not above the rules and will not last long here if you don't change your "rules were made to be broken" attitude.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding glass door track damaged [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Wavy Track For My Slider. The Door Just Bumps Over It. It Is Not The Rollers For Sure. It Is A 12 Foot Opening That The First 3 Foot Door Is The Problem. Is There A Repair For This? It Works Awful And Sounds Like A Train Coming. Thanks Steve

Our car door was damaged when it was forced open by wind. Does insurance cover this? [ 1 Answers ]

During a very windy day, our car door was opened very quickly due to the wind. This resulted in damage to the door hinges, door check device and also put a small dent in the front fender panel. The door can't open properly now. Is this covered by insurance?

Do I have to pay a pet deposit when the apartment is already damaged? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California. I just moved into an apartment where others have been living in for about three years, basically one of the roomates needs to move out and I'm taking his place. The carpet is not just bad it's horrible! It's even got burned spots from previous tenants, theirs been so many...

Boss tries to make me feel more comfortable around him? [ 9 Answers ]

I have worked for this company almost five years (USA). For four years my CEO never spoke or even looked at me. Last year when he fired my boss, he hired a consultant, and he started to talk highly about me and how smart I am. Every time I meet him and if just two of us, he always talks and...

View more questions Search