Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stubits Posts: 390, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
    EPDM Roof Plans
    We're just about done with the design phase of an addition to our 1933 DC row house. I plan to do most of the work myself and would like to be able to do the roof too. The addition has a modest footprint of 5'x10' and requires a roof with a 2:12 pitch or less. Our architect has called for asphalt shingles and has indicated certain brands that allow that pitch. She has also called for us to install ice and water shield over the entire roof. We will also be sealing the underside of the roof with closed cell spray foam insulation doing away with the need for ventilation. Based on what I have read, on the internet and in elsewhere, I am really uncomfortable using shingles for a roof of this slope, it just doesn't seem to be the best product.

I would like to install an EPDM roof. It seems more DIY friendly than other materials and it seems as though I can probably cover the whole roof with one piece and no seems. I have a couple of questions though. I have attached some images to give you a feel for what I am dealing with.

1) Does this seem like the right way to go? Is EPDM a good choice here? There's plenty of sun, no trees above, so no debris.

2) It seems like I would want to run the EPDM material up the existing brick walls on the back (north) and side (east wall), up and under the current parapet roof cap. Is that right? How difficult will it be to remove those parapet roof caps (how are they usually held on)? Is there any need to replace the caps? Will I use a termination bar to secure the EPDM under the cap?

3) I assume I will install a drip edge along the front (south) wall where the roof drains into the gutter, correct?

4) What type of an edge would I install along the remaining edge, left or west side of the roof? Is there something that will help to keep the water from spilling over onto my neighbor's property?

5) Also, what do I need to do at the vertical termination on the southernmost part of the east wall?Obviously the EPDM will be adhered all the way up the side of the wall, but what do I do at that outside corner?

Any other thoughts, comments, concerns?

Thanks so much!
    Attached Images

manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 10, 2010, 05:25 AM

You're architect is wrong.

No shingles manufacturer's allow their products to be installed on slopes of 2:12 or less... and building codes usually restrict the installation of asphalt shingles on slopes of 3:12 or less.

As to the EDPM membrane, it can be a good option but you normally must be certified by the manufacturer to install an EDPM roof or there will be no warranty after you do the installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Leaking Roof Valley on Cedar Roof [ 2 Answers ]

My first floor ceiling is leaking where the garage and house come together forming a valley. The home is 8 years old. The roof is cedar and has been repaired and sealed in the fall. The valley between the garage roof and the wall of the house has been repaired last year by a professional...

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

View more questions Search