Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deadbeat Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Old car accident -- continuing problem for my daughter
    When my daughter was 8 we were involved in a major car accident where a car crossed the median and hit our vehicle head on at high speed. It was a cut and dry case as to it being her fault. 2 of my 4 kids were severely injured. My daughter is now 23. Her arm had tremendous soft tissue damage and is quite ugly. She had extensive medical treatment and surgeries and rehab at the time. Now she would live to revisit what further plastic surgery could be done for her disfigurement. Could we get the lady's insurance to pay for these medical costs? There would be no question that they were caused by the accident.

Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 09:01 AM
    What was the status of the case, did it stay open, was the case settled, was there money that was put into trust for this type of treatment?

I would guess and it is just a guess, that you settled in full with them for some level of payments since that is what most insurance companies try to do. Also does your daughter have personal health insurance ?

So actually the only one that really knows this is you, since you acting as her parent would have worked out the settlement with the insurance company back then.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Hello dead:

I think the Padre is dead on (pardon the pun). The case against the insurance company is dead (there I go again).

Although it's a long shot, you may have a malpractice case against your old attorney. The settlement you received was for past and FUTURE medical bills. Of course, nobody can predict the future with precision. But, future medical bills of your daughters kind WERE predictable. If your lawyer was off, he might be liable.

In any case, it won't cost you any money to speak with lawyers who specialize in legal malpractice. I'll bet you can find several in your yellow pages. A couple hours on the phone will reveal lots of good stuff.

excon

PS> (edited) After I thought about this some, there should have been $$ millions in pain and suffering paid... millions... I'm thinking your case against your old lawyer is getting stronger and stronger.

You did have a lawyer, didn't you??
    deadbeat Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Hi Exxon. Thanks for responding. Yes, I had a lawyer. The trouble was that this lady did not have a ton of insurance. I am not the type of person who is going to go after her home. She was not a person of wealth.

Money awarded in these types of settlements that the kids get their paws on at age 21 are a curse anyway. My daughter blew 90,000 with her friends in 1.5 years and she has nothing to show for it... not even the friends.

Peace
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2006, 07:13 AM
    That answers your question. You settled with the insurance company. You signed an agreement with them. That agreement probably specified that it absolved the insurance company of future claims. You need to read the agreement. But the likelihood of getting any more money from the insurance company or even the driver (the agreement would probably have covered the driver to) is slim to none.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Car Accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the...

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband Was Involved In An Auto Accident In November 2004 - He Didn't See A Doctor Until December 2004 - Per The Insurance Company He Should Have Seen A Doctor Sooner - Is That Right? Once The Insurance Company Has The Case Open - How Long Does He Have To Settle?

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search