Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miketjones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Wireless hubs
    Can I connect both my HP printers via USB cables to a wireless hub and then keep these is a room away from my computer and have wireless printing? I'm not clear if the hub then connects to my network giving me that facility.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 06:43 AM
    First there is no such thing as a wireless hub. A hub is a very simple device that allows you to wire several devices into a network. What you probably have is a wireless ROUTER. Such a device is actually three devices in one. It's a router, which takes the broadband signal from a broadband carrier and share it with network devices in a LAN. It's a switch (usually 4 port) which allows for the wired connection of additional network devices. It's a Wireless Access Point, which allows for the connection of 802.11 devices into the LAN.

To answer your question, you can share your printers on the LAN, but not the way you ask about. Some HP printers have built in print servers, which would allow them to be directly connected via an Ethernet cable to one of the wired ports on the router. Unless your printers have that, you will need to connect the printer to a print server before you can share it. You can do that by connecting it to a computer on the LAN and then sharing that resource. Or you can get an external print server that you connect the printer to and which connects to a port on the router (you can also get wireless print servers).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

What about wireless? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok,Just got a pavilion dv2125nr entertainemnt notenook PC, what does it take to make it wireless, I only have dial up right now. But if I want to take it on a job site with no phone, :confused: or electrical, how do I use it?? I heard buying a wireless card is the answer, but I don't quite know...

Wireless [ 2 Answers ]

My dell latitude laptop works perfectly everywhere but in my home... I recently had comcast high speed internet installed. I can access the internet through cable... but my wirelss connections shows little or no connectivity and when I try to effect a repair it fails because it can't "renew my ip...

View more questions Search