Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rb23 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Relation between linear momentum and kinetic energy
    Could someone tell me whether this statement is true or false. This question appeared in a practise test and I think that the answer to it is incorrect.

Statement 1: If linear momentum of a system of particles is zero, then the kinetic energy of the system will also be zero.
    Statement 2: Linear momentum of a particle is related with kinetic energy as K= P^2/2m

a) S-1 is True, S-2 is True; S-2 is a correct explanation for S-1
    b) S-1 is True, S-2 is True; S-2 is a not correct explanation for S-1
    c) S-1 is True, S-2 is False
    d) S-1 is False, S-2 is True

I think the correct answer should be either a or b because I think that both the statements are at least correct, but the answer given is D, but it doesn't specify any reason.
    It would be great if someone could help me out!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 09:40 AM

The answer is indeed D, because S-1 is false. The momentum of a system of particles is equal to the vector sum of each particle's momentun, so you need to take into account the direction of the particle's velocity. You can have two particules of equal mass (m) moving at the same speed but in opposite directions (at +v and -v respectively), and the total momentum of the system would be mv + m(-v) = 0. But the KE of a system is a scalar, so for this example you simply add the KE's of the two paticles together: KE = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 mv^2, which is not zero. Hence S-1 is false.
    Estakhr Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Apr 30, 2010, 08:53 PM

K=(PC)*(PC)/(E+E0)
    K=Kinetic Energy
    P=Momentom
    E=Rilativistic Energy
    E0=Rest Energy
    C=Speed of the Light
    in high speeds E0=0 soE=K & PC=K
    but in other speeds
    (PC)*(PC)=(K*(E+E0))
    in law speeds E=E0 so
    PC*PC=2KE PP=2KM
    Estakhr Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Nov 18, 2010, 06:18 AM
    K=PēCē/(E+e)

K=Kinetic Energy

P=Momentom

E=Rilativistic Energy

e=Rest energy

C=Speed of the Light
    in high speeds

e=0 so E=K & PC=K

but in other speeds

PēCē=K*(E+e)

in law speeds

E=e so

PēCē=2KE

Pē=2KM
    :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kinetic Energy [ 3 Answers ]

If a car of mass 1280 kg is moving along a highway at 130 km/h, what is the car's kinetic energy as determined by someone at rest alongside the highway?

Kinetic Energy [ 1 Answers ]

A multiple choice question An Olympic athlete of mass 80 kg competes in a 100 m race. What is the best estimate of his mean kinetic energy during the race? A 4x10^2 J B 4x10^3 J C 4x10^4 J

Kinetic energy [ 1 Answers ]

Without doing any calculations, consider a cylinder that contains a mixture of hydrogen and chlorine molecules. Compare a) the relative mass of the molecules (using the periodic table) b)the temp of each gas c)the average kinetic energy of the molecules d)the average speed of the...

Where's My Kinetic Energy? [ 9 Answers ]

My question is very brief but the explanation may be a bit more complex. My question is this: Wherz my kinetic energy?? OK, here is what I am asking about: Let’s say there are two parallel railroad tracks in the desert. I am sitting on one track in a stationary railroad car with a rifle and...

View more questions Search