Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brenjan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Can you tie into a bathtub drain with washing machine
    I'm trying to put a washing machine in my storage closet that back onto the bathroom but the only thing I can tie into is the bath tub drain can this be done
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Apr 6, 2010, 01:50 PM

I believe the answer is yes, assuming your bathtub drain is at least a 2 inch drain, and assuming you vent the new drain to the washer properly (and assuming your bathtub is properly vented). I am not aware of any codes that require more than 2 inches for a washing machine, but you may want to check to be sure.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 02:10 PM

Bath tubs rarely have 2" drains so check it out before cutting into it. Now if that were a shower stall I could almost guarantee its a 2" drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brenjan View Post
    i'm trying to put a washing machine in my storage closet that back onto the bathroom but the only thing i can tie into is the bath tub drain can this be done
    Yes it can be done. No it's not a good idea!
    . You propose to connect the washer to the vertical tub waste pipe, correct?
    The washer pump discharges with great force and volume. I can see the washer discharge coming up in a floor level outlet which would be your tub drain.
    You would also be double trapping the washer which is against code.
    If I've got it wrong and I'm mistaken about the way you plan on connecting click on back and correct me. Good luck, tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:46 AM

Hello Brenjan: In my area we rough-in tubs with 2" drains and 1 1/2" vents. If you have 2" drain than you could connect the washer into tub vertical drain below the tub trap arm connection. Continue upward and reconnect with tub vent. See the drawing...
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 08:52 AM

Looking at that drawing I am thinking this may be a problem. It is like discharging a washer into a stand pipe with no height. Excess water may back up into the vent but some will likely get pushed through the tub trap. Milo and/or Tom may have more thoughts on the hydraulics of this drain.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 7, 2010, 10:11 AM

There is nothing wrong with that drawing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2010, 04:50 PM

the only thing I can tie into is the bath tub drain
    The problem here is we're not quite sure what pipe he wants to connect to. Milo's thinking under the floor while I'm thinking the tub waste. It would be nice if he would come back and clear matters up. Regards, Tom
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2010, 04:24 AM

Oh, you are thinking he wants to cut into the overflow on the tub waste? If he does hopefully we can post another pic on "the lighter side of plumbing" before he has it fixed by a pro!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you remove the bow tie from a kenmore 90 washing machine? 110.26902692 [ 0 Answers ]

How do you remove the bow tie from a kenmore 90 washing machine? 110.26902692

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Backup in bathtub, toilet leaking, possible washing machine link [ 2 Answers ]

This evening after I flushed the toilet I heard a couple of gurgle sounds then noticed water on the bathroom floor. I tried flushing the toilet again and the water came to the top without going down. There was also sewage at the bottom of the bathtub. I was also doing laundry at the time and...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search