Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dash8343 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
    My dog won't stop barking
    I have a 6 month old Aussie Shepard mix and he is always barking when we go out. I have tried a mussel and discipline , covering his crate and putting him with a play mate I have now moved on to shock collar (spray collar and sound dose not work either). And the barking has stopped but now he whines louder then he barked and the collar can't pick it up. Any tips would be helpful.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 07:14 PM

How often are you away? How much exercise does this dog get? Aussies are extremely active, and boredom can come out in different ways, one of those being nuisance barking.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 09:31 PM

Some dogs just bark... Your breed is known to be very whiney and talkative. Its something that you're just going to have to get use to.

Bark collars are great for assistance, but don't turn it into a crutch. Work with him on his barking. I know a lot of people who own these types of dogs actually teach them the "speak" command, which will allow you to gain control of what the dog is doing, and also teach the dog to be quiet. From what I hear, its very effective. Might be something you want to look into.

As far as exercise, how much exercise do you give your dog each day? I have very high energy sporting dogs.. They're now 12 years old and have slowed down a lot, but when they were younger, those pups ran 6 miles a day at approx. 15 mph up hill (not kidding either). If they didn't get to run EACH DAY, they would be irritating. They'd stare, wander around the house, jump up every time you touched anything that looked like a leash or car keys... Running them allowed them to relax. Your dogs breed is very similar as far as energy needs. You may need to look into some type of exercise plan for him that will take that edge off. And trust me, a dog park and a casual walk around the block won't even start their engines.. You need to work this dog until he is tired!

Obedience is another good source of tiring the dog. It will mentally exhaust him. Aussies are pretty smart, so you're going to have to constantly stay one step ahead of him at all times.

Good luck with your pooch!
    Dash8343 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    How often are you away? How much exercise does this dog get? Aussies are extremely active, and boredom can come out in different ways, one of those being nuisance barking.

I take him oh 1/2 hour walk and let him run in the field I'm only gone when I'm at work witch is 4 hrs top and at night we go for a couple hours to the dog park. I don't here him bark but animal control has came buy a couple time with complaints from neighbours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Caring Terrier/Yorkie won't stop barking [ 1 Answers ]

So 2 years ago I found a small dog. I named him Cody. Now we have 4 dog including him. If anyone walks in the room, gets up to leave the room, a dog walks by him, if someone's runs threw the house, or if he hears something, Cody will bark. And bark, and bark, and bark. My whole family yells at me...

Why has my dog started weeing and won't stop barking? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just moved in with my 6 month old baby to ma and pa's house and they have a cat and I have a jack russell he is 3 years old. He being joey the jack russell has just started to wee in the house an won't stop barking when he's put outside. ( while trying to clean up? ) why is he doing this...

My Dog Won't Stop Barking at Me! [ 3 Answers ]

I love my dog & I take him to the dog park to run everyday. My question is two-part. 1) Why doesn't he bother with the other dogs much. If he meets other dogs on the street or in a home, he is social & plays with them. But in the dog park he is just zoned in on the tennis balls or sticks. 2) ...

Dog who won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it...

Dog won't stop barking! [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME Thanks...

View more questions Search