Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Married filing jointly in Community property vs non-community property state
    Hi,
    This question is troubling me for a while and I would appreciate if someone can explain how I should do my state tax returns.

Last year. I moved from IN to CA. My wife worked in IN the whole year and received income from only IN. All my income just came from CA. I am planning to file as married filing jointly for the federal return. I guess the correct status for both my state tax returns (IN and CA) would be part year resident (and married filing jointly), but I am not sure how to divide the income.

My main source of confusion if that CA is a community property state, which means half of my income is my wife's income (and vice versa). IN on the other hand is not a community property state. So, how should I split our joint income (and why)?

1) Report my income to CA and report my wife's income to IN. (as per IN law).
    2) Report half of my income + half of my wife's income to CA; Similarly report half of my income + half of my wife's income to IN (as per CA community law).

I also have some interest/dividend income and capital gains/losses. All our bank + investing accounts are separate. Should I use option (1) or option (2) for this income?

It seems that I am missing some crucial point here. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Allwin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Allwin:

You report BOTH state incomes on BOTH state returns.

However, you only pay taxes on the income earned within the respective state, i.e. California taxes on the California income and Indiana taxes on the Indiana income.

The tax RATE will be driven by the combined income (that's why both incomes are reprted), but only the respective state income is taxed.

The community property status is irrelevant in this computation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

COmmunity Property Filing [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a partner in a business. We were married last year and are wondering if we can file jointly due to the fact he itemizes specific things and we live in a community property state.

CA State Tax and Community Property [ 1 Answers ]

I resided in CA and owned a house (already sold) until 1995. I currently work overseas but intend to return to CA in the future. I have continued filing CA state tax as non-resident since 1997. I last visited CA in 2004. I receive interest income from CA banks and other non-state banks. The bank...

Community Property when filing joint state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing CA state return and a little confused with Community Property Laws and when these apply. I am filing a joint return with my spouse and she is not CA resident (but I am) but lives in another community property state. Does it mean that 50% of her income is still CA taxable because of the...

Question on community property state [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, The state in question is Texas. My father and mothers name is on the house deed. Recently, my father died. The house passes to my mother I think. My father had some credit card debt. The creditors are saying that they can take the house? I thought that they couldn't take the house...

View more questions Search