Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Why take the rapture so seriously?
    This question is directed at those who take subjects like the whole rapture thing so seriously: why? It seems to me that we Christians can find the silliest things to argue and snipe at each other over, and I consider this one of them. When I was in college, a good friend of mine wrote his senior thesis on the rapture. The consensus was that he came out post-trib, which he actually didn't. I read his thesis and he concluded that the post-tribs had done a lot more research, especially recently (up to that time, around 1980) and were basically blowing the doors of the pre-tribs. His closing statement simply said that the pre-trib camp had a lot of catching up to do.

For that reason, the school refused to give him a degree. Ridiculous.

Another student did a study on the question of tongues and concluded that maybe there was some validity to the whole idea, and it should be investigated further with an open mind. He likewise was refused graduation.

We all love Jesus; we all agree he's coming back. We've all read the end of the book and we know who wins. Why isn't that enough for us?

Just a few thoughts. In a time when the rest of the world is making fun of us and pointing out all the stupid things we do, why do we try so hard to give them more ammunition?

As a French hippie might say, je ne diggue pas...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 02:21 PM

What you have to understand is that when you say "christian" it's a giant ball of wax. They all share certain beliefs but they are also very different in the ones the uphold as a denomination. There lies the conflict. Each one believes they are "right". Look at the different outcome from reading the same book. Old Testement. Jew, Muslim and Christians. 3 totally different directions and schools of thought.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 03:39 PM

Why do I feel so strongly about the rapture? Because it is such an important part of my Christian walk. Not believing in it could have you left standing by the side lines when it happens.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Why do I feel so strongly about the rapture? Because it is such an important part of my Christian walk. Not believing in it could have you left standing by the side lines when it happens.
    Huh?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What you have to understand is that when you say "christian" its a giant ball of wax. They all share certain beliefs but they are also very different in the ones the uphold as a denomination. There lies the conflict. Each one believes they are "right". Look at the different outcome from reading the same book. Old Testement. Jew, Muslim and Christians. 3 totally different directions and schools of thought.
    Yeah, I know. I've been involved in at least 5 different denominations in my time, and 2 or 3 "non-denominational" denominations. My dad raised me to believe that the Baptists were the only ones who were right and all Catholics are going to hell because they're Catholics. Of course, he also tried to teach me that anybody who isn't a WASP is a lower form of life. Since then, I've learned that people are people regardless of what they look like, and anybody who believes in Jesus Christ is my brother or sister. I even served as a musician in a Catholic church for the better part of a year, have been a Lutheran, C&MA, whatever the Vineyard is, a Mennonite, and I can't remember what else. We have a common denominator; I prefer to emphasize that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 04:10 PM

Bother...
    I'm not sure how this ended up in "religious discussions" instead of the Christianity forum where I thought I was putting it...

I don't suppose there's a way to move it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 04:22 PM

There may be a way. Try clicking inappropriate post and report it as wrong category. One of the OP's can move the entire thread.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    There may be a way. Try clicking inappropriate post and report it as wrong catagory. One of the OP's can move the entire thread.
    Done; we shall see. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 07:28 PM

You know the way it is going, religious discussion seems better, I think it is better left here.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 07:59 AM

Dwa,

I don't get all upset when someone doesn't believe in the rapture. Of all the topics we Christians can't agree on, this bothers me the least. Which is why I tend to make light about it. If it happens.. ( and it will) then all you guys out there that didn't believe get to eat crow. :) and I will watch. If I am wrong ( and I'm not) then I guess I will be hunted down by the antichrist for not having the mark and then killed. You all can gloat I was wrong that is IF you don't have your heads chopped off first. If saying that was mean, divisive and Unchristian.. sorry. I just can't upset over it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Bother...
    I'm not sure how this ended up in "religious discussions" instead of the Christianity forum where I thought I was putting it...

I don't suppose there's a way to move it?
    The Discussions forums don't allow for ratings, positive or negative. This keeps people from giving out reddies for differences of opinion.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Dwa,

I don't get all upset when someone doesn't believe in the rapture. Of all the topics we Christians can't agree on, this bothers me the least. Which is why I tend to make light about it. If it happens..( and it will) then all you guys out there that didn't believe get to eat crow. :) and I will watch. If I am wrong ( and I'm not) then I guess i will be hunted down by the antichrist for not having the mark and then killed. You all can gloat I was wrong that is IF you don't have your heads chopped off first. If saying that was mean, divisive and Unchristian..sorry. I just can't upset over it.
    I know you don't, but there are plenty who do. For a long time I called myself an apathetic agnostic on the subject: I don't know and I don't care. During that time I said that I hope the pretribs are right, I'm afraid the posttribs are right, and if the midtribs are right they can kick back for all eternity and laugh at the others.

All that, of course, was before I learned that the whole "great tribulation" thing is symbolic for the entire period between Jesus' first and second coming. Now, I just know he's coming back. That's good enough for me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The Discussions forums don't allow for ratings, positive or negative. This keeps people from giving out reddies for differences of opinion.
    Huh?
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Huh?
    Try it. Try giving someone a rating here, you'll find you can't, that's by design. All the sub topics under https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member-discussions/ are set to not accept ratings/reputations.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Try it. Try giving someone a rating here, you'll find you can't, that's by design. All the sub topics under https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member-discussions/ are set to not accept ratings/reputations.
    I meant, Huh? What does that have to do with what I said about moving the thread? I should point out that it doesn't take much to confuse me...
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 11:27 AM
    I meant, Huh? What does that have to do with what I said about moving the thread? I should point out that it doesn't take much to confuse me...
    Oh sorry. :) If a moderator feels that a thread in the 'regular' forums can turn out to be controversial and people may deduct reputation based on emotion/opinion then they may make the decision to move it to the Discussions forum where this cannot happen. I apologize, I didn't mean to derail your thread I was simply trying to let you know how it got moved.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 11:35 AM
    Oh sorry. :) If a moderator feels that a thread in the 'regular' forums can turn out to be controversial and people may deduct reputation based on emotion/opinion then they may make the decision to move it to the Discussions forum where this cannot happen. I apologize, I didn't mean to derail your thread I was simply trying to let you know how it got moved.
    OK, I get it now. As I said, it doesn't take much to confuse me. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 03:22 PM

Now I see that the subject has changed. I didn't do it; and I was actually asking about more than one topic. Befuddlement reigns in my aching head...
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 09:38 AM
    I know you don't, but there are plenty who do. For a long time I called myself an apathetic agnostic on the subject: I don't know and I don't care. During that time I said that I hope the pretribs are right, I'm afraid the posttribs are right, and if the midtribs are right they can kick back for all eternity and laugh at the others.

All that, of course, was before I learned that the whole "great tribulation" thing is symbolic for the entire period between Jesus' first and second coming. Now, I just know he's coming back. That's good enough for me.
    Well I didn't mean to imply I don't care... because I do. I just am not going to get angry if someone doesn't get it. I believe we are raptured BEFORE and I think it is important to understand it. To say that Revelation doesn't have symbolisms would be foolish. However when you read and understand Daniel and Revelation, I just don't see how you can walk away thinking the book is ALL symbolic. None of the other times Daniel spoke of were SYMBOLIC. Oh the Animals or type of beasts he described were but they represented a REAL world ruler and a SPECIFIC time. In Revelation John is trying to describe things he hasn't seen before.. they are real, the antichrist is real and so is the 7 actual years of tribulation. Not only does John describe it... Daniel does too AND so does the Lord Jesus in Mathew.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Befuddlement reigns in my aching head...............
    Ha ha... join the club! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Rapture [ 25 Answers ]

For those of you that do not understand/believe in the rapture of the church before the tribulation period I have one question. How do you or your religious teachings reconcile John chapter 14 and 1 Thessalonians chapter 4?

Why do you NOT believe in the Rapture? [ 15 Answers ]

Since the last thread disappeared, maybe it is time to simply ask the question.

Understanding of Rapture [ 48 Answers ]

Looking for help to understand about Rapture - a) What is Rapture? b) Why is its signifance? c) When is it expected to happen?

The rapture of the church. [ 131 Answers ]

Have any of you heard the news clip about the blood moons and lunar eclipses in 2015 marking the second coming of Christ, meaning the rapture would have to take place THIS year, THIS month, most probably on Rosh Hashana (feast of the trumpets) My sister in law and her husband, a minister, are...

View more questions Search