Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruckusluvr Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
    Need Color help! New house, living room
    We are moving into a new home in June. We are new home owners and are thrilled!

Most rooms in the house need a paint job. Someone who painted their did an AWFUL job! They made a mess of it. Luckily with paint you can just paint over it.

The living room's paint job is not that bad at all. We thought about keeping it the color that it is. But it is a smaller living room, and the walls are dark burgundy. And our furniture is dark brown leather.

I love the look of light but bright colors, and natural colors. I am not sure if we can pull that off with dark brown furniture and burgundy walls! And the carpet is a light tan color. We might replace the carpet in there, but probably not because it looked like it was new!

Do you think I should paint my living room walls? Any color suggestions that would look great against our furniture and have a clean, natural, sunny look? I love lots of natural light.
    Also what about curtain colors? And rugs?
    We are one a budget, but I have seen people make an awesome looking living room for cheap!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 01:44 PM

Here is something that might assist you. Also you can upload a picture of the room and see it under different colors. It's a good site for testing without putting any paint on the walls.

Ref:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 01:46 PM

I've got exactly that. Mahogony furniture; light or leather furniture and a light oak floor with a light oriental rug.

The ceiling is white and the trim is white. The walls are a very light yellow and it looks nice. Might be difficult to provide a pic at this time. Too many issues to deal with.

Apr 5, 2010, 01:49 PM

Thanks you two! But I have no pictures, and next Monday we are planning on painting. So no pictures between now and then. I might wait if I cannot decided, and start on another room.
    Pretty well every room in the house needs painted!

Apr 5, 2010, 01:54 PM

I did just realize that I can take a picture of my couch right now against the wall in the house I am living in now. And see what color looks good with the brown couch on the sherwin williams site!
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 01:54 PM

I was suggesting me providing a picture.

Apr 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I was suggesting me providing a picture.
    I can only give you a picture of the couch in the house I am in now. Will that work?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusluvr View Post
    i can only give you a picture of the couch in the house i am in now. will that work?
    Also on that site there are sample rooms too. You don't HAVE to have a picture its just there if you want to put one in.

Apr 5, 2010, 02:00 PM

Is it going to be really hard to paint a light color over that dark burgundy?
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 02:06 PM

The yellow doesn't look quite right in this picture. It's a deeper yellow in real life.
    Attached Images

Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusluvr View Post
    is it going to be really hard to paint a light color over that dark burgundy?
    Not if you use a sealer primer first so it helps it from bleeding through. The problem will come with the color you choose. One can cause more problems then another.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 03:10 PM

Remember to was the walls with TSP and water. Add bleach if any signs of mold.

Redi-patch from Home Depot (red and black can) works great for patching drywall.

Apr 5, 2010, 03:39 PM

Thank you! What is TSP?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 04:16 PM

Its other name is trisodiumphosphate. TSP. Very powerful at removing grease from walls and leaves no residue. You can use it to strip paint also on a limited basis. Also another tip is that if your washing walls start at the bottom to prevent staining.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 04:27 PM

Tri-Sodium Phosphate. Comes in a powder available at hardware stores. It's not to be used to clean UNLESS repainting.

Use TSP first. After you patch (redi-patch) and sand the holes wipe with damp cloth (tack cloth) to pick up all the sanding dust before painting.

A word to the wise if you haven't painted before.

1. Ceiling first (no taping required) Extra paint on walls won't matter. (2nd coat if necessary)

2. Trim SECOND. Yes SECOND. Again extra paint on the baseboard wall and the wall next to the window trim won't matter. 2nd trim coat.

Use painters tape for the moulding to floor. Newspaper in a pinch. Special paper if your in a hurry.

Remove trim tape before it has a chance to completely dry.

3. Make SURE the trim is dry before doing the walls.

Now, you can tape the top part of the moulding (wide tape) and believe it or not use Post-it tape for the windows. You can re-use it a couple of times (switch sides). Again, pull off early.
    Touch up with a 1/4" artists brush.

There is a cute little pad tool for painting where the walls, inclusive) and ceilings and walls meet. It saves a LOT of work.

Apr 5, 2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks! What is a tack cloth?
    Also, how do you paint the ceiling and not have paint dripping on the carpet? Or will it not drip if I use the proper amount of paint on the roller?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 06:11 PM

Its best to use drop cloths. And if you have a popcorn ceiling then use a sprayer.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 06:36 PM

A damp rag will work as a tack cloth for drywall. See it has a name: Tack cloth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In this case you don't want the oils.

It will pick up the dust and not spread it around.

Drop cloths are very thin inexpensive plastic sheets. They cover furniture. Not the greatest for floor.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    A damp rag will work as a tack cloth for drywall. See it has a name: Tack cloth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In this case you don't want the oils.

It will pick up the dust and not spread it around.

Drop cloths are very thin inexpensive plastic sheets. they cover furniture. Not the greatest for floor.
    I hve never used plastic ones as most are too thin. I always use canvas ones. And you can use them over and over. But they are not cheap either.

Apr 5, 2010, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the input.
    If the ceiling doesn't seem to need painted would it be okay not to paint it? Or would the duller white ceiling, with the new bright white trim paint look bad?

People do usually paint the trim white don't they? I am thinking of doing a light yellow wall, and white trim. Maybe some sort of accent wall, but I am not really sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What color paint? Tiny living room, low light, beige carpet, med brown couch [ 6 Answers ]

I live in an apt. and cannot go dark.. it has to be really light.. it is kind of an open area with the kitchen on the other side which is linen white. Should I do the whole thing linen white? A lot of people say green and I have tried a few sages but ehh.. not loving it. I have tried a light tan...

Color of Living Room [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a 1325 sq ft condo. I want to paint my living room dining room and hallway in a Deep red w/trim in white on baseboards crown molding and fireplace. Everyone seems to be telling me that if I paint this red it will make the room look smaller. Any suggestions?

Decorating a living room [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently moved into my first apartment. The living room walls are pale yellow, the carpet is a plush dark green. I need some help with colors and ideas for decorating it, inclusing furniture suggestions. I am completely clueless right now. Thanks a bunch!! :)

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Leaking living room [ 2 Answers ]

Every time there is a heavy rain water comes up through the floor against one wall. I also have a problem with standing water on half of my yard. Are these connected or 2 different problems. Yes, I have a french drain

View more questions Search