Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lola64 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2010, 06:32 AM
    How to help grieving mom?
    Hi,
    My Dad passed away in January after a long illness. Mom and he were married for over 43 years. I have never experienced grief the way I have over the last few years during the illness. I don't know the 'etiquette', I am trying to get through it the best way I can: feel it when I need to, function when I can. My mom is, understandably, feeling this in a completely different way than I: I know it's a sad but natural feeling to lose a parent.. but, to lose a partner is crushing. There has been a long history of conflict between she and I: but we worked together the past 3 years as dad's main caregivers, sharing a common goal. Now, that we are both in 'different' grieving processes, I am having a very difficult time in 'being there for her', 'comforting her'... I feel like I was there the whole time and now I need to be alone.. but she needs someone! She isolates herself and doesn't have many close friends that she reaches out to.. my brothers aren't much good and she tries to lean on me. I'm just not strong enough.. I want to be there for her, but I'm finding it so hard to be, I don't have much 'give' left.. as terrible and selfish as that sounds!
    Any suggestions? What am I going through here? Why am I acting so selfishly and how can I break out of it?
    Thanks..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 06:59 AM

First, you aren't being selfish. There is no right way or wrong way to grieve. I lost my husband and my grief and that of his daughters, my stepchildren, was very different.

I, like you, for a very long time wanted to be alone with my grief and my memories.

How much support does your mother need? Have you tried talking to her, telling her that you are also grieving and need some time to yourself? Perhaps she would get some comfort out of a support group, although she seems to be a loner. Support groups did not "work" for me but I met other widows who received a lot of benefit from a group.

You have to take care of yourself first and foremost.

I wish you luck-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is grieving for his mother what do I do [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend lost his mother about 1 yr ago. I suggested counseling and moving out of the house where he is and he said he was going to do it but in the mean time. I try to invite him to social gathering thinking it would take his mind off it and he feels that I am trying to rush him through the...

Grieving Cat [ 5 Answers ]

My two female cats lived together for nearly 17 years. It's been one month now since Pietra suddenly died, and Pumpkin (who has been diagnosed with cancer last august) has not been the same kitty since. She's constantly meowing (the low guttural cry, the baby screaming cry, the please help me...

Grieving dog not eating [ 2 Answers ]

We had two dogs (wire hair fox terr') we have had them since they were pups,they are 7 years old and are brother and sister. Recently we lost the female . Not only are we grieving her loss but so is her brother. He does not want to eat. We have to coax him at every meal. We have tried different...

My dog is grieving [ 6 Answers ]

My husband passed away late last month, quite unexpectedly. We have 2 dogs - a 4 year old German Shepherd/Gordon Setter mix we adopted at 5 months that absolutely adored him and a 3 year old AKC GSD we've had since she was 6 weeks old that is more my dog. "His" dog trusted no one when we got her...

Grieving dog [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old jack russell died very suddenly at home about one week ago his best friend is my 8 year old female jack russell who is now grieving. We are trying to keep her happy and feel needed and loved, but how do we help her when we are at work all day. I leave both a radio & TV on for her,...

View more questions Search