Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tocnan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 06:28 AM
    How to file taxes when paid by check but employer did not withhold taxes
    I work for a small business and they do not have me on the "books" - meaning they are not paying pay roll taxes or deducting taxes from my paycheck. They pay me every two weeks by check. I'm worried now I have been here for a year and it's time to file my taxes. I do not have a W2 form with them and have finally asked them to put on their accounting and make everything legit. How do I file my taxes for this year? I made roughly about 21,000-22,000 last year. My wife says that we need to obtain a 1099 and will have to eat the loss and pay taxes - but I am not a private contractor with them, Iam their employee. The paperwork was just never filed/filled out properly. Also, they are recommending that she claim me as a dependent because she made a lot more than I did (by double) and we would state that I have made no money this year. She is refusing to do this because she says that is fraudulent and she is very worried about the paper trail. I'm worried as well and feel that my employer has put me into a very bad situation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2010, 06:49 AM

You are an independent employee and that is how you will pay taxes. There is no dishonesty on the part of your employer if you were paid by check. It's not like you were paid cash, under the table.

It took you a year to realize taxes were not being withheld?

You are not your wife's dependent.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 11:38 AM

Your wife is correct - your employer should provide you with a 1099 to document the amount they paid you. They have indeed put you in a bad situation - at the very least they are failing to pay social security and medicaire tax on your behalf, which means as a self-employed contractor you have to pay it double. You may also owe interest on under-witholding of income trax throughout the year. And as JKT noted, you are not a dependent of your spouse. You must file either as Married Filing Jointly or as Married Filing Separately.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 02:28 AM

Even if you do not get 1099-misc, you must report this income on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 57 of Form 1040).
    Even though schedule C treats you as a self employed, which may not be correct for you, this is how you must report this income. Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

You will end up paying about 7.2% more taxes as compared to W-2 employee. The benefit is that if you have job related expenses, you can deduct it only as itemized deduction subject to 2% AGI limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer did not withhold enough social security taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My employer withheld 98.92 in social security taxes, roughly 20.00 less than should have been withheld. I have verified the ammounts with my last check stub, and the social security table. Upon calling the employer she informed me that it was my fault (I filled out a w4, but NEVER mentioned...

My employer forgot to withhold taxes [ 6 Answers ]

CA (california) increased tax rates last year. Today my employer told all of us that they forgot to adjust to the new rates and that the employees will most likely not get a refund this year, but rather might have to pay instead FOR THEIR MISTAKE! Do we have to pay? Doesn't the employer have to...

My employer forgot to withhold FICA taxes for me [ 8 Answers ]

I have been working on H1B visa for the last two years. I recently discovered that as H1B I still need to pay FICA (social and medicare) tax. But my company did not withhold these taxes for me for two years now. What should I do? Am I required to pay the prior missing FICA taxes? Will I be...

Employer did not withhold Georgia State Taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I just discovered my employer has not been withholding Georgia state taxes. They have been withholding all other taxes. Since we don't receive a pay stub each payday, I retrieved my first pay stub online and missed it. I haven't pull any others since the direct deposit was the same each time...

View more questions Search