Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arvindTiger Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 12:48 AM
    Expenses incurred as a counsellor
    Hi,

My wife worked as a counselor in a juvenile improvement center (North County Lifeline). It is not listed in Pub 78, but they said that is a charitable org.

Is there any way to get a credit/deduction for the expenses incurred as a result of this. She was not paid, but here institution is not listed in IRS pub 78.

The expenses are mainly vehicle expenses (almost 3500 miles commuting to/from this place) and expenses related to getting study/training material (~$100).

Thanks,
    Arvind
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 05:24 AM

The donation/charity deduction is itemized deduction, which is reported on schedule A (Form 1040). You will take deduction only if your itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction. For this reason many tax filer do not get any deduction for charity. http//taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/05/itemized-deductions.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex addiction - should I see a male or female counsellor? [ 43 Answers ]

I have just made an appointment to see a professional about my sex addiction. The counsellor is a man. Is this OK? Im just not sure if I would be better talking to a woman. I have no problems in talking to a man about this but I just don't want to be judged by him.. Has anyone else seen a...

What qualifications do I need to be a drugs counsellor in ireland? [ 3 Answers ]

Well I've been their and done most of them and learned a lot in my experience taking them,so why not use what I learned and become a drugs counsellor But what qualifications do I need in ireland to do this? I never finished school because of drugs and other things All help would be great...

Marriage counsellor [ 6 Answers ]

A husband and wife came for counselling after 15 years of marriage. When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade Listing every problem they had ever had in the 15 years they had been Married. She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy,...

Ex trying to charge me for expenses incurred during the relationship [ 11 Answers ]

Good afternoon, I'm wondering how long someone has to bring up charges they feel are owed to them. My ex boyfriend claims I owe him money for various small charges amounting to $1200 from March (ish) 2006. I paid him back for anything that was owed during the relationship, but he's trying to...

View more questions Search