Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
    Originally Posted by Kitkat22
    Clough you are not alone! Did you learn my song?

Self worth.. A man's word is his bond. My dad said this a lot.

Work for what you have, you appreciate it more when it is earned by the sweat of your brow.

Stand for what you believe in even though you may have to stand alone.

Never judge a person until you have stood where he has.

Never, ever look down on anyone else just because they don't believe the same as you.

Love your friends and tell them, often. (Clough.. you are my friend and I do love you)
    Love the Lord and thank him for what he has given you.

Love your country.. you don't have to like the politicians..

Never fail to thank someone for a kindness they have done for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Heeyyyy... is that part of the song or did you just add that:rolleyes::)
    I don't think that Kit changed anything, JD.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 12, 2010, 05:07 AM

What an uplifting thread.

As this is mainly a problem-solving forum, it can get quite weighed down with negative stuff, in a good way as we all try to help each other, but still heavy stuff.

You brought us all something to ponder that is really positive Clough, even if difficult to define. Sorry you're finding things hard going right now, but give yourself a pat on the back for using your hurt to spread some sunshine. Look at all the love you invited in. Have a grateful hug from me. Xx
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Thank you, QLP! Your words of kindness and caring are much appreciated! :)

Here's a hug to you, too! ((((HUG))))
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Well................
    Oh, that was funny and well-appreciated, Stringer!

I wonder where you found that image?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    I think that a great way for anyone to realize his or her own worth is through self talk. Not only that, but finding something that they are truely passionate about and sticking to it, by this I mean values, core beliefs. Our core beliefs are the very foundation of who we are as people, as well as our individual personality traits. Through self talk, one can come to realize what they truely believe in and decide how they want to go about living their lives through those values. And while sincerity is an important thing, I think that the only type of sincerity is the type that actually does the world better, meaning that even though someone can believe it's good, doesn't mean it is. Any person can have the purest intentions, and still end up doing something terrible.
    I also agree that the other things you listed in the origional post are great contributing factors. People find their self worth in many different ways. They are the ones who decide what is important to them. So basically, people measure their own self worth by what's important to them, and hopefully by what benefits everyone for the right reasons.
    Very eloquent and helpful words by you, ohsohappy!

Yeah, it's a matter of choice and telling yourself you can be a positive and proactive person working to improve things for the good in the world, as well as within yourself.

But, it's sometimes a very hard thing to realize - that is, that we each really do have the power to do that!

Thanks!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Thank you, QLP! Your words of kindness and caring are much appreciated! :)

Here's a hug to you, too! ((((HUG))))

Realizing your self worth is when you don't care whether other people like or dislike you. I have always wanted people to like me most do, some don't. It isn't anything they have done or I have done it's just life.

When I realized just lately I don't need approval from anyone in order to be me. It would be great to have everyone's approval, but nobody does. As long as I can go through life without intentionally hurting someone, that's self worth.

I think when it's my time to leave this earth I can honestly look at my children and husband and grandchildren etc. and say I made some mistakes , but I have been the best possible mother and wife and sister
    And daughter I could be and say to them how much I love them.

I have made mistakes, but those mistakes have taught me lessons.
    I have failed God many times , but he has never failed me.
    I have been hurt, but it has made me stronger.
    I have been blessed beyond anything I could ever hope for.

When I stand before my Heavenly father.. I hope I can hug him and say
    Thank you for your mercy and kindness and loving me when I was unlovable. Thank you for giving me friends who love me. Most of all thank you for your son, because if it weren't for him... I wouldn't be here

Thank you Clough... You'll be there too:)
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Originally Posted by Just Dahlia
    "Having to be alone and realize that you really aren't alone? That there is always someone who cares, and if needed would be your friend and look after and help you and maybe join with you, in one way or another down the path through life?"

This was closest for me.
    My worth is within me and the few friends I have. I'm not an easy person to befriend, but the people who feel I'm worth it are life long.

I feel if you can be yourself and still have a friend or two your life is worth it. Some things you want will never happen, but you are still worth the long haul, keep on trudging along and be happy in the off time, I am well worth anything that life throws my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    My mentor uncle once said something simple and profound to me:

"If as you go through life you make enough great friends to count on one hand who would give you their shirt when you are cold you are indeed one of the luckiest and richest people in the world."

Stringer
    Yes, it is profound! And, you are truly one of those great friends about whom your uncle mentioned!

Your Rock Island Friend...
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:31 AM

Clough you are not alone! Did you learn my song?

Self worth.. A man's word is his bond. My dad said this a lot.

Work for what you have, you appreciate it more when it is earned by the sweat of your brow.

Stand for what you believe in even though you may have to stand alone.

Never judge a person until you have stood where he has.

Never, ever look down on anyone else just because they don't believe the same as you.

Love your friends and tell them, often. (Clough.. you are my friend and I do love you)

Love the Lord and thank him for what he has given you.

Love your country.. you don't have to like the politicians..

Never fail to thank someone for a kindness they have done for you.
    I think that I'm finally learning and assimilating your song, Kit!

I can be pretty dense, sometimes...

It's a beautiful song! :)

Love from me to you! ((((HUG))))

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I think that I'm finally learning and assimilating your song, Kit!

I can be pretty dense, sometimes...

It's a beautiful song! :)

Love from me to you! ((((HUG))))

Thanks!
    You are my buddy and Stringer is right!:)
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    You are my buddy and Stringer is right!:)
    I'm glad that we're "buds"! That's part of how a person realizes themselves worth!

Being able to get along with others...

Stringer usually is correct, by the way! He's like a brother to me!

I don't think that it's any accident as to why certain people happen to come into the lives of others.

I also don't believe in luck. After all, if you have faith, how could there be such a thing as luck?

Thanks!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 01:21 PM

I'm so glad I came to this site. :)
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 12, 2010, 03:21 PM

If I need a little inspiration for the day, to keep me on the right path, I often find there's a Goethe quote to fit the bill.
    Here are a few of my favourites:

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

A noble person attracts noble people, and knows how to hold on to them.

A person places themselves on a level with the ones they praise.

All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.

As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.

The deed is everything, the glory is naught.

The man with insight enough to admit his limitations comes nearest to perfection.

Goethe.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    If I need a little inspiration for the day, to keep me on the right path, I often find there's a Goethe quote to fit the bill.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.

The man with insight enough to admit his limitations comes nearest to perfection.

Goethe.
    That is beautiful.:)
    twinkie15 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2010, 03:27 PM

I think you should think about all the posotive things about yourself and not listen to what everybody else says and also be very independent
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie15 View Post
    i think you should think about all the posotive things about ur self and not listen to what everybody else says and also be very independant
    Sometimes constructive criticism is great! When good friends tell you what they think, it helps. I've learned a lot from listening to some very wise people. True friends will tell you what you need to hear, good or bad. And it's wise to listen.

You learn and grow and appreciate those who tell you the truth and not just what you want to hear.:)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Sometimes constructive criticism is great !! When good friends tell you what they think, it helps. I've learned a lot from listening to some very wise people. True friends will tell you what you need to hear, good or bad. and it's wise to listen.

You learn and grow and appreciate those who tell you the truth and not just what you want to hear.:)
    My true friends don't give me advice, they already know I know what to do... I just might not be doing it yet. They know me very well and I appreciate the fact that they let me be me and get on with it in my own good time.

Actually sometimes just a look, gets me moving:):rolleyes:;)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:43 PM

Goethe.
    'You can do anything you want to, man...'

'Lose yourself' Eminnem

(as close as I could get it)
    It comes from 'my' pep song that I listen to every Friday on my way home from work, and I honestly believe I can.

Although I have to close my car windows when I'm at a stop light.;)
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Sometimes constructive criticism is great! When good friends tell you what they think, it helps. I've learned a lot from listening to some very wise people. True friends will tell you what you need to hear, good or bad. And it's wise to listen.

You learn and grow and appreciate those who tell you the truth and not just what you want to hear.
    My true friends don't give me advice, they already know I know what to do... I just might not be doing it yet. They know me very well and I appreciate the fact that they let me be me and get on with it in my own good time.

Actually sometimes just a look, gets me moving:):rolleyes:;)
    There's an old saying that "the best mirror is a friends eye..."

Yes, keep moving. Very important..
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Originally Posted by QLP

Goethe.

'You can do anything you want to, man...'

'Lose yourself' Eminnem

(as close as I could get it)
    It comes from 'my' pep song that I listen to every Friday on my way home from work, and I honestly believe I can.

Although I have to close my car windows when I'm at a stop light.;)
    I'm going to have to check out that song, JD! Have you checked out the pieces to which I have links to in my signature?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:55 PM

Goethe.
    Beautiful stuff posted here by you, QLP!

A number of years ago, when I was going through some hard times, I printed out and taped inspirational sayings all around the inside of my back door!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

Realize the signs! [ 2 Answers ]

After reading some of the threads, I thought I will start a thread for people to realize when their relationship is coming to a end and maybe other members can ad some signs. If your boyfriend/girlfriend don't want to spend time with you no more than mostly it is coming to a end. If he/she...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search