Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnosls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 09:35 PM
    Do I need to pay US taxes on money from German PostDoc Research If I have Green card?
    Actually, I am asking for my wife.

She is a German Citizen and a Green Card Holder living here in the US with me (a US citizen) and working on her research. She gets paid from a German Postdoctoral Research Fund. But makes no US-based income whatsoever.

Some have told us that she'd have to be visiting on a J-1 visa to avoid paying taxes and that that would only work for 2 years (then shed have to backpay)... but that if she has a green card she must pay full income tax on this postdoctoral research fund (which is tax free in germany, by the way).

Sorry I can't be more discriptive but this is not my specialty by far.

Does she have to report/pay taxes on these German funds here in the US?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 05:31 AM

If postdoctoral research fund is income, it is taxable.
    If it is scholarship, grant or gift, it may not be taxable.

If you are a degree candidate and if the financial aid (includes scholarship and fellowship) is for tuition fee, other fees, books, supplies and equipment, then it is not taxable. For a degree candidate aid for boarding and travel are taxable. Scholarship and fellowship grants, Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Income Tax Topics 1
    gnosls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 08:37 AM
    Turns out it seems the consensus states: She does have to pay taxes but filing under "Alternate sources of income" as a non-taxfree scholarship. But that because the work produces no tangible marketable product she does not have to pay the Self-employed aspect of this tax. And the tax is reducible by tracking research expenses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Your assessment is correct. She would report the income (minus the research expenses) on Line #21 of your joint Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

JI Indian postdoc (citizen) who was previous german resident [ 2 Answers ]

I am a J1 Post doctoral fellow who started working in a University lab in the US on Oct 1, 2008. I am Indian citizen but have been residing in germany for the past 7 years. I have paid income tax in germany for 3 and half years out of the 7, the other being my student time. Both India and germany...

German Visa for postdoc in germany [ 0 Answers ]

I have applied for posdoc in germany what type of visa I need? And how to apply? Where I get application of visa?

Tax exemption for German J1 postdoc after 5 year stay in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can give me some help to understand my tax obligation in the US, as I can't figure it out from reading the tax treaties and Publication 901 and 519. I'm a German citizen, who has lived in Canada the last 5 years to get a PhD. In early 2010 I am moving to the US in January...

Should I pay taxes on my own money that I transfer to the you.S. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- I have been reading the string of posts related to taxes and I have a question for anyone who can help me I am a green card holder living in the U.S. who also holds a bank account in my native country. I wanted to transfer that money over to the U.S. (it would go from my bank account in...

Why do we have to pay taxes on money that's done been taxed [ 7 Answers ]

Why do you have to pay taxes on money that has done been taxed? Like your pay check.:eek:

View more questions Search