Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2010, 05:36 PM
    How does one choose a spouse?
    I'm starting a report on relationships; for now, basically the question I'd like people's input on is how does one choose a spouse? What qualities or traits (both physically and mentally) do you look or have looked for when you decide(d) on a life partner? I understand everyone wants to be with someone who is respectful, trustworthy, faithful, etc. but I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me what traits they look for in another on a deeper level.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2010, 05:44 PM

Actually, most of us chose a spouse without much deliberation. We don't take a checklist on dates. (I did have one, but it was how good a kisser he was.) If only we DID think it through carefully, the divorce rate would be much lower.

I think "choose" is the wrong word. If we choose, it isn't often a logical choice.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Apr 4, 2010, 09:22 PM

I think the term choice is a little broad. For some, there are lists of qualifications for a mate. You know, must have job that pays such and such, must have two cars, must be tall and not overweight, no history of diabetes, etc. For others it's the rush to beat that biological clock that helps them decide. For me, it was pure, senseless love. My husband has a decent job yes, rich he is not. He's over weight yes, huge he is not. His family is a pain and he over sensationalizes everything. He leaves his socks laying all over the house and he has a bad temper. He's also the most confident, handsome, caring, honesty and trustworthy person I've ever met. I am deeply in love. He is the frosting on my cookie.

For me, there was not 'choice' involved in the decision to make him my life partner. When love takes over, there is no need for decision making.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for me there were no deciding factors. I knew I loved him and that was all I needed to know. He will make me happy for the rest of my life.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Apr 5, 2010, 02:41 AM

I agree with the other posters. Not to mention how can you gauge how what people look for in general? Its not possible because no one actually knows what they want. Just kidding, really its this simple. People fall in love because they become connected to the other person in some way. For every person it is a different connection, a different trait. There is no way to norrow it down for the general public.

Apr 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larken85 View Post
    I agree with the other posters. Not to mention how can you gauge how what people look for in general? Its not possible because no one actually knows what they want. just kidding, really its this simple. People fall in love because they become connected to the other person in some way. For every person it is a different connection, a different trait. There is no way to norrow it down for the general public.

I'm actually not trying to narrow down a connection between two people at all because I know not every couple shares the same one. To put it more roughly, I'm just wondering what characteristics or traits you -personally- would like your partner to possess in order to further a relationship. I understand people fall in love based on a special connection; but I'm wondering what qualities would you want shared to form that connection between you and your partner specifically. Maybe what personality traits do you discover in yourself that you'd like your partner to relate to in order to form a bond. I expected everyone's answer to be different in some way which is why I was so curious to find out. I am interested to know what each person looks for.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karly View Post
    I'm wondering what qualities would you want shared to form that connection between you and your partner specifically.
    That's an entirely different question from your original one. Maybe you should start a second thread.

Apr 5, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's an entirely different question from your original one. Maybe you should start a second thread.
    It's truly not. In my first paragraph to this thread I had asked what qualities or traits do you look for when deciding on a spouse. Clearly these qualities you want in another must relate to at least some of your own to create a bond or connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Non resident spouse - Can I claim spouse exemption (1040 6b) [ 8 Answers ]

I am a resident alien with a non resident alien spouse who: (a) Moved to the US in August 2007 on H4, but left shortly afterwards to close ties in the foreign country (in preparation of permanent move in 2008) (b) Does not meet the substantial presence test in 2007 (c) has no US income during...

Submitting spouse W7, should spouse SSN in 1040 left blank? [ 2 Answers ]

I am submitting W7 form for my wife with my 1040 and 1040 Schedule A (itemized deductions) forms. What should I put for spouse SSN in 1040 form? Should I just write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" for spouse SSN? Also, on second page of 1040 I see I have my SSN on top right corner of the page, but...

Work or Spouse Visa.future Military spouse. [ 1 Answers ]

I really have no idea where to start... I am engaged and currently visiting my fiancé (a Marine) in Okinawa, Japan. . He is stationed in Japan for the next 9 months. I was considering moving to Japan to be with him during this tour. I do not have a job in the US, I will more than likely find...

View more questions Search