Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rapidfire8 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Hey guys wanted to know something about middle school dating!
    Hey Guys I live in Dubai born to an Indian family.See, the thing is that my folks do not agree with dating in Middle School.My thoughts are completely like those of the Americans.I know every single thing an American knows at this age.I love cute boys.I am 12 years old.I just want to date the perfect guy but I can't as my folks think that 12,13,14,15,16 or even 17 is a young age to Date! I know how stupid! They say I can only date when I am 18 or something because then I'm old enough but I don't want to wait so long.What should I do?I am a little fat for my age... like 56kg!But everyone says I'm pretty and if I loose wait I'll look beautiful.I am trying hard but cannot succeed much.I lost a couple of kilos but not much.So any good ideas? Please help! :(
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 03:35 PM

I agree with your parents, you are too young to date. You may know ABOUT dating, but actually doing it is another matter. For one thing, you'll have to get used to the idea that there are no perfect guys. There are just guys.

For now, spent time making friends with both boys and girls. You may not need to wait until you are 18, but you do need to be a lot more mature first.

As for the weight, it all comes back to diet. Cut out all the sugar, fried food, and processed food (that includes soda) and eat more fruit and vegetables and whole fresh food. Learn to listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry, and don't eat unless you are hungry.

Go to bed early. There's a huge amount of research showing that lack of sleep can pile on extra fat.

Apr 3, 2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks Eileen! :) Listen I know every one thinks its kind of a young age to date... but can't stop thinking about guys now can I ** email address deleted, off board contract is not allowed** Fr ChucK ***
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidfire8 View Post
    Thanx Eileen! :) Listen i know every one thinks its kinda a young age to date....but can't stop thinking bout guys now can i ** email address deleted, off board contract is not allowed** Fr ChucK ***
    YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO DATE! Stop trying to grow up too fast.
    Enjoy being a kid. Thank God for your parents. Hit the books and take up running and exercise. Be good to your parents and let them know you are going to abide by their wishes. :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 10:11 PM

I'm sorry, but 12 is too young to "date". Go enjoy your youth, and make the most out of your life, like getting the best education.

Your parents have your best interest at heart.

And don't "loose wait" for anyone else but yourself. Not because someone else said you'd look better thin.

Now go eat, study, and kiss your parents.

I wish you the best.

Apr 4, 2010, 12:46 AM

But I obviously can't stop thinking about guys! :P Look cute boys are a part of my life I only see cute boys in movies in real life they are all so ugly! :( Many girls and boys date when they are 12 or 13 but the thing is they are Americans!
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2010, 05:12 AM
    But i obviously can't stop thinking about guys!! :P Look cute boys are a part of my life i only see cute boys in movies in real life they r all so ugly! :( Many girls n boys date when they are 12 or 13 but the thing is they are Americans!!
    Not in my home! My children did not date until they were well into high school. My grandchildren will not date until they are well into high school. They can have friends here in a chaperoned environment.

Movies are just that , movies. This is the real world. You have very good parents. Listen to them. Movies have given children like you the wrong impression. Life isn't a movie sweetie and you need to stop being boy crazy and concentrate on school.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2010, 06:22 AM
    But i obviously can't stop thinking about guys!! :P Look cute boys are a part of my life i only see cute boys in movies in real life they r all so ugly! :( Many girls n boys date when they are 12 or 13 but the thing is they are Americans!!
    Not in real life. Honestly, the things you see in films and TV shows are all exaggerated beyond what happens in reality. Like the fact that you get a lot of good looking 12 and 13 year old guys who don't have spots or smelly feet or make fart jokes.

Once you start dating, you find you are involved in a lot of different kinds of pressure. The boys your own age are just too young to be suitable date, and boys that are older will expect things you are not ready for.

It's fine to think about boys. You're at the stage where you look at all the boys around you and wonder if he might be THE ONE. Looking and thinking is fine. Get into the habit of looking for the details, the things that tell if you if he really is a nice guy or not. Boys are people, same as girls, and some are a lot nicer than others.

This might be a bit off the wall, but this is a great age for writing stories and songs. Take all that curiosity and longing, and make it sing on the page.
    babysaver Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Apr 4, 2010, 06:54 AM

Your parents are awesome and I wish more parents laid down the law like yours do. I work for CPS and just one my caseload I have a pregnant 11 yr old, 13 year old and her 15 yr old sister is pregnant as well.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Sweetheart, this is all completely untrue. I am an American with an American daughter. She was not allowed to date until the age of 16 and then her father and I had to approve of the boy. She still hasn't met a boy who meets hers, and our, standards.

My next door neighbor boy is 12, he doesn't think about girls, his only concern in life right now is video games.

You have an unrealistic view of what Americans are like. We don't let our children date at such young ages. You have plenty of time to grow up. Don't rush it.

Apr 5, 2010, 11:43 AM

Thank You for telling me that J_9 Health Expert
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 11:49 AM

Rapidfire, you ARE too young. I remember being 12. It seemed like everyone but me was dating. But you know what sweetie? It isn't true! It just seems like it. I am a senior in high school and not even all the seniors are dating. Just wait it out okay?

And by the way, weight has nothing to do with beauty sweetie. You'll learn that in time
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2010, 11:50 AM

Rapid, there's nothing wrong with thinking about boys. I was in kindergarten when I had my first crush. But that doesn't mean I was dating then. I just thought one of the boys in my class was really cute. I didn't start dating until high school. And I was one of the first to start dating out of my group of friends. Many of my friends didn't start dating until they were 17 or 18, even until they were in college. Like the others have said, the media has given you a false idea about american dating. You're parents are doing the right thing by making you wait to start dating and they're doing it because they care about you. Keep them involved in your life, they really do have your best interests in mind.

Apr 12, 2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx and justcurious55 I think u guys have really helped.Can we please be in touch?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
    thanx xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx and justcurious55 i think u guys have really helped.Can we please be in touch??
    I'm really glad you're taking the advice young lady. I'll bet you are a nice kid.. It's okay to worry about your weight, but don't worry as you keep growing what I call, "baby fat' will melt away. Just don't eat what you know isn't good for you! You be good now and leave the boys alone.. Hugs:)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 12:04 PM

Rapid, the best way to get in touch with us is right here on askmehelpdesk. You can private message us if you'd like. But the nice thing about threads is that sometimes other users have better answer or advice than me. Anyway, glad I could help.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
    . . . Many girls n boys date when they are 12 or 13 but the thing is they are Americans!!
    True, I remember a lot of couples in middle school (6th grade), quite a few survived into high school.

I think it depends by what you mean by dating, which, I think has some people confused. I'm guessing you mean eating lunch together, holding hands on the way to class, the occasional locker note, talking on the phone, and possibly having your or his (probably his) parents drive you and the boy to the movies to see a Pixar animated film.

Anyway, if that's what you mean by dating, do it. It's harmless as far as I'm concerned and it's a really good way to develop social skills, but, I am a guy, it's probably is different for girls. I and all my friends had "girlfriends" in middle school, where long term relationships were 3 months.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 10:16 AM

Thank you.. You made my day. You are going to do just fine. You seem to have very nice manners and good outlook. Little advice.. my dad always told my sisters and me ,'" A lady is someone who makes a man, want to be a true gentleman". You'll do fine and you are a nice young lady! Be Sweet... :)
    celinerobi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 05:46 AM

Id say give it until your towards the end of middle school in the eighth grade that way your almost in high schoool
    I no how you feel when your parents say you can't date because I'm 13 (almost fourtheen) and in the eighth grade
    I wouoold try group dating its a lot easier than one on one and your parents would like it beter if it were a larger(6-7) group of people
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 05:51 AM
    thanx xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx and justcurious55 i think u guys have really helped.Can we please be in touch??
    Sure Rapidfire, I will keep in touch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Middle School Dating ? [ 20 Answers ]

OK, Im 10. I'm going to miiddle school in August. My older friend that goes to middle school talk abou it all the time. She says she got asked out on th first day!! :eek: and I don't ant to be mean or anything but, she isn't pretty. And that makes me wonder, do guys not like pretty girls too? I'm...

Help with middle school dating [ 11 Answers ]

I like this girl. I am very shy. I don't think she likes me. Right now we are in the friend zone. She was in my class last year. How should I ask her out. Also, do you think I'm ready in middle school.

Middle school dating [ 50 Answers ]

I like this guy and I want to go out with him. I don't want to be sexual <definately not> but I want him to be my boyfriend. In your own opinion, is middle school too young for dating?

Middle school dating [ 4 Answers ]

I am in Middle School-6th grade-and my feelings are changing for this friend I made, if you know what I mean. He has asked me who my crush is, but I lied, not wanting to be embarrassed. His friend might be dropping hints about who he likes, supposedly someone with the same name as me or me, but my...

Middle School Dating? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am in middle school and there is a boy I like. I don't want to ask him out, because I think he doesn't like me. But, I was wondering if you think that middle school is too young for dating? If not, where do you even go?? Do you just talk in school?? :);):D:cool::rolleyes::p

View more questions Search