Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 01:00 PM
    Replacing a sill plate
    I'm replacing the studs and sill plate in a bedroom that was a attached garage. The sill plate has anchor bolts through it. Now what is easier or best way to anchor the new sill plate. To try and line up the old bolts and drill new holes, I can not use the old sill plate for a jig, or rebuild the wall, then drill holes into the concrete through the new sill and use anchors? Or is there another way? Thanks for your time
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 4, 2010, 06:01 AM

You say you are replacing the sill plate and studs. You say you cannot rebuild the wall. Exactly what do you have to do? Sill plate can be nailed to concrete floor using hard cut nails and a 4lb sledge, it can be nailed with a power hammer or it can be screwed down with Tapcon concrete screws.
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 08:34 AM

Ahhh ,sorry, should have said"or should I rebuild the wall". The Tapcon screws might be the way to go. Thank you
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 4, 2010, 09:55 AM

Tapcon hold the best but require the most time and work. Power hammer is fastest and easiest, cut nails probably the cheapest. In all cases you should also put a couple of beads of construction adhesive between concrete and sill plate. Should also use treated material for sill plate or put down moisture barrier. If you use Tapcon, do over tighten screws. If you strip out the hole in the concrete the screw becomes useless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Replacing sill plate [ 9 Answers ]

I asked this question earlier about a rotted sill plate and if it could be replaced I thank everyone for the responses I found the source of the rot the roof was leaking it has been repaired this is not a bearing wall if I just leave it what will happen there is no weight on the wall any responses...

Replacing sheet rock sill plate rotted [ 2 Answers ]

I recently took all the sheetrock from an outside wall I noticed the sill plate along the bottom of the studs is rotted no termites maybe just dry rot is there any way to replace without tearing the whole wall down

Replacing a sill plate [ 2 Answers ]

On a recent home inspection the inspector noted wood damage to a section of the sill plate at the font wall of the basement near the base of the stairs; replacing the damaged wood is advised. Can you replace a sill plate or a section of the sill plate in a home that's 64 years old?

Sill Plate [ 5 Answers ]

When building a structure, what are the pro's and con's of a pressure treated treated sill plate and a bottom "Shoe". I have heard that I should use just the sill plate, and others say put another plate on top of that one.. I am wit's end as I need to have this built ina few weeks and before I...

View more questions Search