Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Apr 3, 2010, 10:19 AM
    What is leaking by toilet?
    Please help. Next to our basement toilet is a pipe that goes into the ground. It has a collar on it. We followed it and believe it to be the waste vent. Problem: there is leakage around where the pipe enters the floor. It is very slow, but it is waste water. What is wrong? I shall call a plumber first thing Monday, but I am anxious to know what this is and how expensive it will be to repair. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 02:00 PM

This sounds like a leak at the lead and okum poured and caulked joint in the cast iron. If that's where it's leaking from it may be a minor repair consisting of simply recaulking the joint.
    Good luck, Tom

Apr 3, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Yes, it appears there is some deterioration near the collar. I sure hope that you are right. Any other folks with some ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 02:45 PM

Show us a picture.

Apr 3, 2010, 03:51 PM

I can't give you one. Try to imagine it. It is a 4" pipe next to the basement toilet that is leaking poopy substance.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 04:32 PM

Got that part. The question is where is the leak? Tom is assuming the leak is from the joint itself. He is probably right but seems strange if this is a vertical pipe. I'm suspecting a cracked or split pipe. Can you verify?

Apr 7, 2010, 04:10 PM

The pipe has not leaked for several days. It has been dry.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2010, 04:33 PM

Have someone caulk the lead joint. (see image). Good luck and I hope that's all it is. Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 8, 2010, 12:30 PM

I have been checking all week and the area around the pipe is bone dry. I have a theory that maybe what I saw was knocked over toilet brush water? (No one owns up, but it is possible) If there were a leak, even small, wouldn't I have seen something all this week? As I say, it's bone dry. Helen thanks.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2010, 04:45 PM

I'm with Speedball on this one - only one more angle to cover. Maybe the line backed up momentarily and leaked up through the caulked joint. Since the blockage cleared, it hasn't done it since - or until it happens again. Keep an eye on it every time you flush - if solid waste doesn't sweep through the line quickly, it will cause a momentary backup behind the solids until there is enough water behind it to push it on down. Meanwhile, it will likely come up through the leaky joint.

Apr 12, 2010, 09:50 AM

Here it is days later and still no water seeping. I just wonder if that toilet bowl container didn't fall and spill. Bone dry around the pipe, bone dry about the toilet and floor. Hmmmmm.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 03:39 PM

If its not leaking at this time, and you aren't getting any sewer gas smells, id say you are correct, water was spilled. I wouldn't worry about it any more unless you see water on the floor again. Come on back if you do and we will try to help.

Apr 13, 2010, 08:55 AM

Thank you very much. All help was much appreciated. Helen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water still leaking from toilet bowl.after replacing toilet! [ 6 Answers ]

The water was leaking from the bowl of our toilet and we were getting "phantom flushes"... water was also seen trickling into bowl... SO, we replaced the whole toilet as it was pretty darn old. We put in a new wax ring, installed the toilet correctly as far as we can tell... and now the water leaks...

Cast iron leaking under toilet & other toilet won't flush [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my kitchen sink stopped up. Checked both downstairs toilets, one drained fine other didn't. Grabbed the plunger. Plunged the toilet @ North end of house & no results, went to toilet on South end of house no result. Went back to sink, filled up with water & then plunged it. Water went...

Toilet leaking at the base of toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. My toilet is leaking from the base of the toilet, not consistently, about once per day. We have replaced the wax ring, tighten bolts but still continues to leak. We have even turned off the water valve supply and it is still leaks. What can be the problem?:(

Toilet leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet drain leaking and it is not easily accessible, without cutting a hole in my ceiling. Is there a way to insert a new pipe within the old past the leaking point?

Leaking toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I went away on vacation Florida... turned the heat down to about 65, I usually keep it at 68-70... when I came home and flushed the toilet... water seeped out of the back where it's bolted together... I looked inside the tank and where it's leaking from it looks like there is a bolt with a washer...

View more questions Search