Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweatincopper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 09:56 AM
    Rewiring house with conduit that has deteriorating insulation
    One bedroom of the house had a short because of the insulation flaking off. I'm rewiring the 15 amp circuit that runs the lights/outlets upstairs. I ran #12 to 1 bedroom's outlets/lights and would like to tap into the old wiring from the rest of that circuit; that wiring is #14. Is there any problem having that room wired with #12 at the end of a run of old #14 wire? The alternative is to wait until I've completed the whole circuit including the main wire to the panel, all with #12. Thanks! This site has given me a lot of info
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 11:55 AM

There is no problem with different wire size as long as u use a breaker for the smaller sized wire. #14 wire for 15amp breaker.

Chuck
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 11, 2010, 06:54 PM

Assuming you are planning to rewire the whole circuit, and follow Chuck's instructions about using the 15A breaker/fuse until you're finished - should be OK. If you're not going to finish rewiring, make sure it is well documented that the remainder of the circuit is undersized, so an unwary follower (subesquent homebuyer or electrician/handyman) doesn't burn the house down bu installing a 20A breaker/fuse in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring house with conduit that has deteriorating insulation [ 2 Answers ]

One bedroom of the house had a short because of the insulation flaking off. I'm rewiring the 15 amp circuit that runs the lights/outlets upstairs. I ran #12 to 1 bedroom's outlets/lights and would like to tap into the old wiring from the rest of that circuit; that wiring is #14. Is there any...

Rewiring a old house [ 1 Answers ]

I am rewiring a old house,that has knob and tube wiring. I ran 14/2 from the new 200amp circuit box. Going to the bedrooms upstairs for the lights. We are planning to put ceiling fans with lights in the bedrooms. How do you figure the wattage usage for that combination (not bought yet). Also is...

Siding is deteriorating in lower area of outside house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house that is covered with a fiberboard like siding, it was guaranteed for twenty five years and it is about twenty seven years old. Around the botom edge it is beginning to crumble and curl. I would like to replace the bottom two feet and am looking for the best product to use. If you...

How do I correct open grounds without rewiring my house? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had an inspection done on my older 1950's home in Atlanta Ga. The inspector said that I have open grounds on most outlets in the home and they must all me fixed. They have one black wire, one white wire, and no ground wire. Is there a way I can make them up to code with out rewiring...

Rewiring in historic house [ 2 Answers ]

I have plaster walls with lathe backing. In historic district so conduit that shows won't work, need to install new wiring and outlet boxes because upgrading service to today's standards and eliminating knob and tube wiring. Need help with installing wiring and boxes for outlets in the plaster...

View more questions Search