Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkles30 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Pregnant 16 year old, need advice
    My daughter got pregnant on her first time having sex with her boyfriend who is also 16 about to be 17 at the end of this month. She just turned 16 in Sept.
    What rights does she have as a minor?
    What rights do we have as parents?

We are supporting her and taking care of her and the baby. The father is willing to help support the baby also, but being they are both minors, my concern is insurance coverage on the baby. Our insurance will not cover her pregnancy and the only way to cover the baby is for us to become legal guardians of the baby until she decides to get married and has the father to get insurance on them.

Any advice is appreciated?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Sparkles, welcome to AMHD.

It may be necessary for you to get temporary guardianship. Understand that it is not uncommon these days with children having children.

I am unsure about what rights you are asking. Can you please clarify?

Dec 2, 2006, 05:41 PM
    What rights do parent's have over their minor children who have a baby?
    What rights do minors who have a baby have?
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Well, you have the rights over your daughter.

Yet, once the baby is born, you continue having rights over your daughter, but she now has the rights over her child. You cannot overrule the decisions she makes about her baby.

Once that baby is born, your daughter is considered an emancipated adult. She can make decisions for herself and her child. However, you usually have the right to overturn the decision when it comes to her, but not her child.

Dec 2, 2006, 06:44 PM
    How can she be responsible for her child if she is still a child and I'm still responsible for her?
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 06:55 PM
    It is very confusing.

Okay, here we go, and I am now talking medical okay...

Let's just say that your daughter was in an accident and needed a consent for surgery... if she cannot consent, you can.

If her child is sick and goes to the ER and your daughter does not consent for the surgery your grandchild would need, you cannot overrule her. She is the parent of the baby.

The parent ultimately has the final decision. That also holds up in many other instances. You are the parent of your daughter, so you have the final decision.

She is the parent of the baby, so she has the final decision.

Each parent is responsible for their respective child.

It works this way the majority of the time in any instance as she is emancipated after having the baby.

So, it may be in your best interest to get guardianship.

Dec 2, 2006, 07:06 PM
    OK, she is very understanding and we have a close relationship. I feel we will be even closer now. My husbans (her dad) and I have been talking to her about guardianship of the baby until she turns 18, which so far she agrees.
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 07:29 PM
    That may be in her best interest. Make sure that it is written in the contract that she regains guardianship at that age or whenever she can afford it, insurance and otherwise.

Contact a family law attorney.
    PartyRock4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
    Well I would either do that or put the baby up for adoption
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PartyRock4 View Post
    Well I would either do that or put the baby up for adoption
    This thread is from 2006. The baby is now 6 years old.
    Mobley119 Posts: 142, Reputation: 6

Jul 7, 2012, 10:08 PM
    I know the question wasn't asked, but just to let you know, once your daughter turns 18 and has guardianship over your grand baby, if you live in the US, it's very likely the baby will be eligible for Medicaid.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobley119 View Post
    I know the question wasn't asked, but just to let you know, once your daughter turns 18 and has guardianship over your grand baby, if you live in the US, it's very likely the baby will be eligible for Medicaid.
    Just want to point out, again, this question is from 2006. The daughter was 16 then, but now she's 22, and the baby would be 6 years old.

Also, the OP (original poster) hasn't been back since 2006.
    Mobley119 Posts: 142, Reputation: 6

Jul 7, 2012, 10:35 PM
    So sorry I completely missed that. My bad :/
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Just want to point out, again, this question is from 2006. The daughter was 16 then, but now she's 22, and the baby would be 6 years old.

Also, the OP (original poster) hasn't been back since 2006.

So "we" SHOULD read the entire thread before answering?

I read the thread but often miss the "title."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant 14 year old [ 24 Answers ]

My best friend(14) IS pregnant what can I do to help her? She isn't a goodie good and her mom won't let her get an ibortion what can I do to help her through?:confused: :confused:

Implantation bleeding.. Possibly pregnant?advice needed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi yes my husband and I are Trying to conceive. I got off BCP on June 24th. And we had unprotected sex sevearl times in July. I took an ovulation test on the 24th and it showed I was ovulating. We had sex the 22nd-24h and the 27th. I had some cramps which felt like my period was coming. Since my...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search