Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    relznerk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Over the Range Microwave Oven
    I am installing a new Over the Range Microwave Oven in my kitchen. I have already installed a dedicated outlet box with a 15 amp outlet (14/2 wire) to plug the oven into (nothing but the microwave will be plugged in to the outlet). The installation Instructions for the oven say the oven should be plugged in to a 20 ampere branch circuit single grounded outlet. The Installation Manual for the oven states that the electrical requirements are 14.8 amps and 1.7 kilowatts.

My question is, do I need to remove the 15 amp outlet that is already installed and replace it with a 20 amp outlet (and run 12/2 wire) or will the Microwave oven operate just fine plugged in to a 15 amp outlet? If possible, I like to use the 15 amp outlet and avoid having to run new 12/2 wire to the box. But if necessary for the oven to operate properly, I'll do the extra work.

If anyone knows the answer, please advise. Thank you. Dan
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Yes the microwave will need the complete 20 amp circuit. The circuit needs to be 125 % of the running load amps, 14.8 * 1.25= 18.5 amps. Round up to the next standard size breaker.
    jhardegr Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Dec 2, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Dan,

One thing that's not clear (to me at least) in your question: you mention 15 amp and 20 amp outlets but you don't mention the circuit breakers. A dedicated circuit would include the circuit breaker at the main service panel, the wiring to the outlet, and an outlet rated at the appropriate amperage.

You probably understand that already but I just want to make sure because, for instance, installing a 20 amp outlet running off a 15 amp circuit breaker would mean that the breaker might trip prematurely, and the opposite condition (15 amp outlet installed off a 20 amp breaker) would be very dangerous because the circuit breaker might not trip even if the maximum amperage rating of the outlet was exceeded--serious fire/shock hazard.

As to your main question I have two observations:

1) based on the 14.8 amp requirement in the installation instructions I would say that you can probably squeak by with the 15 amp circuit as most decent engineers will specify a slightly higher current (i.e. amperage) rating then what is actually required, just to be safe. That probably explains why the installation manual specifies a 20 amp circuit. They are allowing that 25% margin of error.

2) If it were me, I would probably bite the bullet and run the 20 amp circuit because I like to have a good margin when it comes to electrical stuff, and because my observation has been that circuit breakers tend to trip a little easier as they age.

Good Luck

--John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave oven [ 11 Answers ]

Can you tell me approximately how many amps a small microwave oven uses. I rent and my house has 15 amp circuits and my microwave keep tripping the circuit. My landlady told me my microwave uses too many amps. Can that be? Thanks so much for your help

How do I install an overhead microwave oven? [ 4 Answers ]

It doesn't really matter what brand at this point. I just want to be sure I can do it and have the necessary tools. Many thanks in advance

Microwave oven [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore built in microwave just stopped working. Nothing works, no lights sounds or keypad response. There is power to the outlet but nothing to the microwave. I've heard there is a fuse that might be blown but don't see anyway to access the inside of the unit without taking it off the wall....

Overhead microwave range [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install an overhead microwave?

View more questions Search