Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Apr 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Can I just water down powerade instead of expensive pedialite?
    My baby is 11 months old, and I really like pedialite for its long shelf life and I can give it to her whenever, w/o overdoing the calorie intake... but its expensive! I know powerade has a bit high sodium, so can I add water to it and go with that instead?
    luv2dancwu Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2010, 05:51 PM

All of those drinks are full of sugar which is so bad for babies, anyone really so why not give her coconut water instead. There is no added sugar or colouring or anything artificial,, just pure coconut water. Check it out at our health food store or area in your grocery store. Google and read "how bad is sugar for you".

Apr 2, 2010, 05:56 PM

Eeesh well I'm kind of fighting the TMI's right now so coconut juice may not be that good of an idea. Apple juice does it to her too
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2010, 06:08 PM

Why do you want to give her juice?

Why can she not have water?

Does she need juice for a certain reason?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr View Post
    My baby is 11 months old, and I really like pedialite for its long shelf life and I can give it to her whenever, w/o overdoing the calorie intake... but its expensive! I know powerade has a bit high sodium, so can i add water to it and go with that instead?
    Oh, heavens no! Poweraid is made for adults not the fragile system of infants. It is very high in sodium (salt) that can cause blood pressure issues and kidney issues in young children. Pedialite should only be used for dehydration, not as a daily staple in the diet.

Pedialyte has a fine balance of electrolytes and should only be used in cases of high fever, diarrhea and/or vomiting. By giving pedialyte too often you upset the natural balance of electrolytes and can cause excess of certain electrolytes that can be dangerous.

Try diluting cherry/pear/grape juices if apple juice causes tummy problems.

Apr 2, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Why do you want to give her juice?

Why can she not have water?

Does she need juice for a certain reason?
    Is it some kind of sin to give her juice? She drinks water too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 12:35 AM
    It's definitely not a sin to give juice!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr View Post
    Is it some kind of sin to give her juice? She drinks water too.
    Of course it's not a sin!?

But why give a child juice when now is the time that you actually control what gets in her mouth.

Personally I think homemade juices are better than store bought. If you really want to make juice then make some carrot juice, make so veggie juice... make some fruit juice and dilute it as J9 said.

I just think juice shouldn't be introduced to children at such a young age. My daughter is 3 and prefers water over juice.

What is it 1/2 a cup a day of juice is the daily serving. Imagine your child drinking more than that a day as she grows up.

When it comes to children and health I'm very picky.

.. but then again that's my opinion.

Apr 3, 2010, 09:27 AM

Well of course homemade is better, but so are the vegan diet and home cooked meals. I'm 9 months pregnant and ready to pop right now, so all that good stuff is kind of pushed off onto the backburner for a couple of months. Shoot... I'm feeling winded after typing this! Jk...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Less expensive drugs [ 2 Answers ]

I take OxyContin 60mg. The cost of it per month is just over $500. I have insurance now so it's not a concern, but soon I will not have insurance. Is there another drug equal to OxyContin that is cheaper? I have a consult with my doc on Wednesday but I just want to be prepared, as I don't know if...

Solution but not expensive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! Good day! My face has a lots of pimple scar I knew that you have a lots of remedy but I can't afford it do you have a solution but not expensive?

How expensive is it to replace water pipe leaking in the foundation? [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed that our grass near the corner of the house was soaked. Dug up the ground and found water leaking out of the water pipe where it meets the concrete foundation. Plumber said there is a pipe leak in the foundation and a new pipe will have to be ran probably to the center of the house in an...

Going someplace expensive [ 4 Answers ]

When I got home from work last night, my wife demanded that I take her out to some place expensive... So I took her to a gas station!!

View more questions Search