Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Leaking coolant when car runs but not when it's off
    My roommate has a Chevy Cavalier... I believe it's a 96. Anyway, she has a coolant problem but we kind of want an idea of what could be wrong with it before we take it to the shop to get it fixed so we don't get taken advantage of. When her car is running the coolant leaks out but when we turn it off it stops. What do you think the problem is?

Here is a picture of when the car is running

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 12:28 PM

Water pump... hose... gasket?

When its running and hot the system is under pressure... when its not, it cools off and isn't under pressure and less likely to leak.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2010, 01:48 PM

Do you have any idea how much it might cost to get fixed?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 05:31 PM

That is a HUGE leak! Open the hood and see if the leak is along the firewall. A leak like that should not be too difficult to locate. Then, we can give better advice.

Keep in mind that if an aluminum head engine overheats, even once, the head can warp, the valves can get damaged, and the head gasket can blow. Repairs can easily be $2,500+. Therefore, you need to be very careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Problems coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0 [ 4 Answers ]

Problems with coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0. My truck does not overheat but I'm losing coolant very rapidly after turning it off, the dealer claims that the EGR controller is bad and the head gaskets are blown I find that hard to believe since the motor only has...

Leaking coolant and now oil! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've recantly had my 2001 Chevy Cavaliers head gasket replaced (in summer). Now it's leaking coolant, overheating after driving for 5 minutes, and just this mornong is leaking oil! I am so broke being that it's almost Christmas and having three kids I can't afford to get it looked at yet,...

View more questions Search