Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgnibandhe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
    What is 5.1 surround sound system
    My PC is having 7 channel sound card output called 7.1. I am having 5.1 speaker system. Can I connect this to my PC and if yes how?
    yujiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 10:57 AM

The first number is how many speakers.. the second is the subwoofer... and yes... there should be a way to set it to 5.1 unless you have 7 speakers...
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Apr 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

A 7.1 system consists of front R,L speakers, a center channel, R & L side speakers, R & L rear speakers and a subwoofer. A 5.1 system is the same except for the side R & L (it does not have these). To answer the question yes, you can connect a 5.1 channel system to a 7.1 channel soundcard, almost all are compatible. You will need to connect the sound card to a sound system which includes an amplifier. This can be connected usually through an optical or Toslink connector, though most cards have line level outputs which can also be conncted (but that's a bunch of wires). Good luck and consult your owners guide, because everyone is a little different. ~ G

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I hooked up my surround sound the picture is black and white with sound [ 5 Answers ]

I hooked up all of the cables for my surround sound to my TV. When we turn a movie on we get a black and white screen of the movie which is very clear and the sound. We just don't have any color.

Connections for RCA surround sound system [ 2 Answers ]

I had this figured out at one point in my life, but then I moved. Here's my dillema. Normal Sylvania TV, Magnavox DVD/VCR and RCA surround system-How do I connect these three? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Surround sound [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best wireless surround sound system for home use? I really do not want to run wires throughout the room for the speakers.

View more questions Search