Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Patchwork school bag
    Hi all.

My daughter broke her backpack, 3rd one this year. I'm tired of buying cheap backpacks (not cheap $ wise but the way they are made) 3 or 4 times a year. They never last.

Anyway, I have a lot of scrap material, mostly jean material, and I've decided to put myself to the test and make her a school bag.

Some things you should know.

1. I can sew, but I'm self taught and not a pro by any means. I can follow a simple pattern, but start using sewing terminology and I'm lost.

2. I have a very good sewing machine that can handle jean material, I'm the one that's the problem when it comes to anything fancy.

3. I've never done patchwork before.

4. I'm looking for an over the shoulder design, hopefully with interior pockets for pencils, crayons and other small things.

5. She's in grade two but still has to bring a lot of stuff home every night, so she needs room in the bag.

6. I need to get this done by Tuesday.

So, if anyone has any tips, a simple plan, simple instructions, pictures, I could use any help I can get.

Thanks in advance. :)
    Big Auntie Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2010, 01:31 PM

I hope it is OK to refer people to websites on this forum... Have you ever been to etsy.com? They have a sister site called Alchemy where you can post requests for custom handmade items, and then sellers bid on the opportunity to make the goods. I'm not sure if someone could help you as quickly as Tuesday, but you never know - it could be a good option if you don't get help otherwise. Good luck! Etsy :: Alchemy :: Handmade Ideas & Custom Items
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Auntie View Post
    I hope it is OK to refer people to websites on this forum... Have you ever been to etsy.com? They have a sister site called Alchemy where you can post requests for custom handmade items, and then sellers bid on the opportunity to make the goods. I'm not sure if someone could help you as quickly as Tuesday, but you never know - it could be a good option if you don't get help otherwise. Good luck! Etsy :: Alchemy :: Handmade Ideas & Custom Items
    Thanks Big Auntie.

It is okay to refer to websites, as long as you're not advertising your own website. :)

I'll take a look at the link you provided. :)

Thanks again and welcome to AMHD. :)
    Big Auntie Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2010, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I hope you find what you need. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 1, 2010, 04:08 PM

Here's a couple ideas for you. As far as working with patchwork, just sew the pieces together until you have a piece of fabric big enough to make the bag.

Classic Messenger Bag: Sewing Pattern : Tipnut.com

mmmcrafts: the basic messenger bag

Heart of Mary: TUTORIAL: Messenger Bag with Zip Top Closure

Choose Your Own Adventure Bag Free Pattern - SavvySeams.com

messenger bag with gusset tutorial - PURSES, BAGS, WALLETS

OK, so that turned out to be more than just a couple. Oops.

I've made several bags like that, but I've never worked from a pattern. When I make purses and bags, I usually just measure and cut and sew and hope for the best. Usually I get pretty close to what I was aiming for.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:41 PM

I'd do a sketch.
    I'd do a #3D model in cardboard.
    Create a pattern out of newspaper, paper shopping bags or brown paper.

Get an idea of the size.

Now create a solid piece using the pieces of the material. There is a stitch you can use to prevent unraveling. Take a look at a typical jean pocket.

Cut pattern. Sew.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vitiligo or patchwork quilt [ 5 Answers ]

:).I 'm surprised about the trouble with monobenzone.net. I got my order as promised. I'm not apologizing for anyone, but I was tired of looking like a patchwork quilt with lupus and being asked a bunch of stupid questions by people in the nursing profession who ought to know better. I tried the...

T bag [ 4 Answers ]

Can any one tell me the name ov the show that had the character t bag in it.

Bag of lollies [ 1 Answers ]

One day a 12 year old boy was walking down the street when a car pulled up beside him and the window was wound Down. "I'll give you a bag of lollies if you get in the car", said the driver. "No way, go away", replied the boy. "How about a bag of lollies and $10?" asked the driver. ...

Evening bag [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make an evening bag?:p

View more questions Search