Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Correcting a slight high spot in slab prior to tiling
    I'm getting close to tackling the tiling of my bathroom and wet bar in my basement refinishing project. I have inspected the slab (the house is 10 years old) and it does absorb water (no sealer) and no moisture is present (1' sq plastic taped to floor for 3 days, no condensation). The only issue I can find is a small area about 2' sq. where the slab has a slight high spot. When I lay my 6' level over the spot it appears to be about 1/8" to 1/4" above the rest of the slab. I plan on using 12" square ceramic tile.

My questions: What is the best way to go about removing the high spot? Is it enough of a difference to cause a problem? Do I need to do anything to the rest of the slab surrounding the high spot? As always, thanks in advance for all the help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 11:25 AM

Angle grinder with a masonary cutting attachment might be the easiest... there are larger grinders for resurfacing concrete that might be quicker.

I'm going to guess you are using thinset... which will be far thinner than that. Othwise you would have to do a thicker morter bed.

Don't take my word on this however... wait for some other input. Personally an area that small I'd take care of. If you want a flat floor. After its tiled it would be far more apparent.
    DirtDemon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Angle grinder with a masonary cutting attachment might be the easiest....there are larger grinders for resurfacing concrete that might be quicker.

I'm going to guess you are using thinset....which will be far thinner than that. Othwise you would have to do a thicker morter bed.

Don't take my word on this however....wait for some other input. Personally an area that small I'd take care of. If you want a flat floor. After its tiled it would be far more apparent.
    My thoughts exactly. I would use a belt sander or a hand grinder to level the high spot. A high spot will cause un-necessary pressure on the tile and leave slack in spots allowing it to break under foot. It's better the high spot to be low because then at least the mortar or what ever adhesive you're using will fill the low spot.

Best of luck...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 11:40 AM

And use a respirator when grinding that concrete.. preferably a good one. Concrete contains sand which is mostly Slica... and you don't want a chance of getting silicosis down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correcting original 1099 A prior to filing. [ 2 Answers ]

CanI use liquid paper ona 1099A form? I have not submitted it to the IRS yet.

Drain pipes under slab have a low spot [ 16 Answers ]

Well, looks like I have a major problem. We have had a slow draining toilet since we moved into the house. It wasn't noticeable as much first because the toilet was a low flow toilet, and they are slow anyway. So it got a little slower and I just got fed up with it. So, I flushed the vent lines...

PVC flange too high, concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I discovered the toilet flange in our downstairs bath is about 3/16-1/4” above the concrete slab. Maybe this clearance was left for subfloor/tile that never got installed. Anyway, the toilet rests on the flange unless a lot of shims are used. Also, it looks like the previous owner must have...

Small spot on rug wet--on slab--no basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a small wet spot on our rug, which happens to be next to a ceramic tile, near our entryway. The wet spot is about 3" from a closet, and on the other side of the back of the closet wall is our laundry room, with washer and dryer. The grout on the tile next to the wet spot is...

View more questions Search