Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgil01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 07:45 AM
    Nevada Unemployment on 1099
    So I have worked for this one company for about 6 months they are going to lay me off, and I will be eligible for unemployment. But they are asking me if I can hang around for about a month to finish up some work and be an independent contractor with a 1099. After the 1099 job which is about a month can I start collecting unemployement, or am I screwed beacasue I went from w-4 to 1099.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 07:53 AM

You'll be screwed as being a 1099 means you have a job. Being laid off means you don't have a job. The company is playing ends against the middle with you. Can you somehow talk them into keeping you on for another month instead of making you an independent contractor instead? Because if you do try to collect unemployment and the company IS paying you as an independend contractor this would be fraud on your part and the company would naturally deny your claim as you are still employed by them. And if you try to collect unemployment after you've been a 1099 employee your claim will be denied as you were not laid off but your 1099 job ended. Different thing altogether.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment - 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

I was laid off last summer and been looking for work ever since. I was recently offered a position that would be a 1099 sales gig. I am currently collecting mass unemployment. Can I start working this other gig while still on unemployment and collect any difference in pay between what I make on...

Unemployment and 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off in 2009 and have been collecting unemployment in California. My previous employer owes me back-pay for commissions that were earned as an employee, but the payments were scheduled to pay out monthly over a period. Now my previous employer wishes to pay me the back payments as 1099...

Unemployment as 1099? [ 2 Answers ]

I was laid off yesterday due to company closing and elimination of my position. I have already received a job offer part time as a 1099. In the state of GA, can a person still draw unemployment benefits if working part time as a 1099?

1099 and unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working for this company about 3 yrs. I started on the books. The last 3 months or so I have been switched to 1099 pay. I read another Q&A that said I can’t collect unemployment if I get laid of now that I’m 1099. If I get laid off am I not eligible to collect for the previous...

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

View more questions Search