Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wes44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Diversion
    It has been almost 2 years since I have been arrested for my felony charge. I was arrested for Non person Burglary, Theft and MIP(long story) and it was my first offense. I was offered a pre-trail diversion program and accepted. I have since then completed everything on that and have finished everything with the court. I was not charged and shouldn't of had a criminal background. I am in the process of applying for Gov't housing apartments which is based on income and today I found out that my application was rejected due to my criminal background. Now she did not say that she knew why I was rejected but that I would be receiving some information in the mail and that they would decided from that whether I would get accepted into the apartments. She told me that if I was not a sex offender or have felonies I would be OK and would be able to move in. But I was arrested for a felony but was never charged with one due to my diversion.

I was under the impression that a diversion does not show up on my record and that I should not have to worry about anything popping up from here on out. This is the first occasion that anything like this has happened to me. I have changed jobs since my arrest and have worked at a bank and nothing at all was said to me. I am just really concern because I don't know what I will do if I don't get accepted into these apartments. I lived in Kansas when I was arrested and went to court here and still currently live here. The apartments that I am applying for are in Kansas as well.

What my question is, Will I be able to get the apartment or Not? Why would I get rejected for having a criminal background when that was the main purpose of my diversion?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 04:44 PM

What shows up in a criminal background check depends on how thorough the check is and which agency does it. Obviously these people found out through a background check.

If their policy (in writing) is no felony arrests, no, you won't get the apartment.

It's my understanding that you have a conviction but receive diversion instead of jail time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diversion program [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged for theft under 5000 and I never had any criminal history in the past.I was offered a diversion program but I didn't know whether I should take it or not.the thing is I didn't commit the offence and I am innocent but somehow the police report of the incident which according to what...

Diversion and responsibility. [ 1 Answers ]

What is my responsibility as a R.N. charge nurse when I have discovered diversion of narcotics from documention and reports.

Second chance at Diversion [ 1 Answers ]

I did a stupid thing again. I had shoplifted around 3 or 4 years ago and had gotten caught. I had to go to court and they had offered me the Diversion program. I am 23 now. I don't know what prompted me to do it again. When the police officer did a background check they did not see a record. So...

View more questions Search