Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toomuch49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
    If you change your pension into a disability pension does that become marital asset?
    Married 4 years husband became disabled changed his pension into a disability pension am I entitled to the pension? I read that once you change your regular pension while married into a disability pension it becomes a marital asset. We are in the process of getting a divorce, I received a letter from SS that I may be entitled to lifetime payments monthly and a lump sum payment. When I called the union to find out about this letter, they were ruid and told me my attorney has to do a Quadro. So was wondering if I am entitled to receive pension benefits is this a law? Also since the medical is through his union and he does not pay for the benefits only union dues once the divorce is final can an agreement be made to keep me on the insurance and my daughter because of pre-existing conditions?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 02:11 PM

These are questions to ask your Attorney, particularly the health insurance issue. In some States 4 years is a very short marriage and you may not be entitled too much "relief."

Your husband has designated how he will receive his pension - X a month for his lifetime OR X a month for his lifetime as well as yours.

What did he designate?
    toomuch49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 08:44 PM

He put in joint pension and now it is a disability pension. So I wanted to know if I am entitled to half now that it is a marital asset when he changed it over to a diability pension. He also wiped out all the bank accounts that were joint as well , we were living off the money. He just thinks he can have it all and not have to give me anything after everything I have done for him. Do you know anything about this? I am just looking for the funds to be split equally that he took, and for some kind of relief being that he abandoned me and his stepchildren. My attorney said there is no such thing as abandonment however when reading up on it, there is abandonement in Florida... so I don't understand my attornies answer at all.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 10:05 AM

I would never second guess an Attorney who has (presumably) far more info and facts than I have.

A lot of how this will be divided depends on when all of this happened - the changeover, the bank withdrawals.
    DreamzWorld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
    I am disability pension, am I allow to get married?
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Yes, disabled people are allowed to marry.

You will not lose a private pension. Do you collect Social Security disability OR SSI?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer US Pension to a UK Pension Plan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a US citizen permanently livng in the UK. I currently have a US pension that I would like to transfer to a UK pension plan. Will the IRS allow me to do that? From what I have read, tax-free transfers are allowed from one qualified plan to another qualified plan, or to an IRA. And according to...

Credit Card Debt w/ Disability Pension And SSI [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently living in N.Y. and have a large amount of credit card debt. I am receiving phone calls all day and have stopped answering. I have told these people that I am currently living on a government issued disability pension and SSI. I have also allowed my mortgage to go two months behind to...

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

Disability pension [ 1 Answers ]

I became disabled in !990. However to draw a pension from the Teamster Union, you must first be able to draw S.S. disability. That took me seven years to be approved. The union only paid one year backpay even though it was ruled that I had been disabled since 1990. I was awarded S.S. payments for...

View more questions Search