Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikect05 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Can I put outside gfci, and laundry gfci outlets together on ciruit?
    Hi, I am in the process of redoing my basement, adding a bathroom and laundry room. I would like to have one gfci protected outlet in the bathroom, one in the laundry room, and also add one outside (through the bathroom wall), I also would like a light in the shower stall which will need to be gfci protected.
    I am trying to figure out the best way to do this with out having to run all these on separate circuits since I will also have to run the wires for a lighting circuit and also regular outlet circuits near by.
    My questions are
    1. Can I put a laundry gfci outlet and an outside gfci outlet on it's on dedicated 20amp circuit?
    2. Does the light above the lav need to be gfci protected or just the one in shower stall?
    2a. If so can I run all the lights in bathroom run off the gfci oulet but have different switches for them, this circuit would be dedicated to bathroom only of course.
    3. Can I put a regular oulet in laundry area off another ciruit if further than 6' from laundry sink and plug washer into it?
    4. Any better suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
    My answers follow your questions:

1. Can I put a laundry gfci outlet and an outside gfci outlet on it's on dedicated 20amp circuit?

No, laundry circuit is dedicated for the laundry.

2. Does the light above the lav need to be gfci protected or just the one in shower stall?

Just the shower light, if recommended by the fixture manufacturer, needs GFI protection.

2a. If so can I run all the lights in bathroom run off the gfci oulet but have different switches for them, this circuit would be dedicated to bathroom only of course.

Yes.
    3. Can I put a regular oulet in laundry area off another ciruit if further than 6' from laundry sink and plug washer into it?

Laundry receptacle and circuit needs to be dedicated.

Mar 30, 2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks TK. GREATLY appreciate your quick response.

Follow up questions

1. Can the lights in Laundry area be on lights from other circuit?
    2. So I will need to run separate circuits for bathroom gfci, outside gfci, and laundry gfci, Plus lighting circuit, and dryer circuit?
    3. How close can I run these romex wires together back to box, they need separate holes in stud correct?
    Thx again TK!
    What god wants... one of the best albums ever!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
    My answers follow your Follow up questions:

1. Can the lights in Laundry area be on lights from other circuit?

Sure, and general purpose lighting circuit, not kitchen outlet circuits, etc.

2. So I will need to run separate circuits for bathroom gfci, outside gfci, and laundry gfci, Plus lighting circuit, and dryer circuit?

The outdoor outlet can be on a general purpose lighting circuit, or basement outlet circuit, depends on what you will use it for. Otherwise, your correct.

3. How close can I run these romex wires together back to box, they need separate holes in stud correct?

Depending on he size hole drilled, we often use 5/8" to 3/4" bits, running two cables through bored holes in wood framing is often done.

What god wants... one of the best albums ever!

??

If your referring to my avatar, that is from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Mar 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
    I was referring to Roger Waters solo album...
    I love pink floyd with or without him but I love Roger Waters more!
    Thanks again for all your help. The outside outlet just general purpose, so I can add that to another outlet circuit?
    Do the bathroom and Laundry gfci's have to be 20amp or can they be 15?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 02:43 AM
    Ahh, OK I have not followed Roger much.

If the outdoor outlet is for general purpose, then a local general purpose circuit will do.

Both bathroom and laundry outlet circuits need to be 20 amp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI outlets and breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement and the power going down comes off a split pole 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire. I was told I need to install a GFCI. Is it possible to install 1 in the first outlet and the other 5 in line thereafter will be protected as well or would it be better to reeplace the breaker...

GFCI/outlets not working [ 1 Answers ]

After replacing all outlets and GFCI's in kitchen, one new GFCI does not work, the new outlet next to it does work, and the new GFCI on the other side of it does work. It appears to me that the line/load should be correct if the receptacle next door works? Of the two hot wires going to the GFCI...

Wiring Outlets to GFCI [ 13 Answers ]

I need to run 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC outlets. I already have a 50 amp GFCI. How can I safely run 2, 20 amp receptacles off this breaker? One option is to buy 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC, GFCI's. Not really what I want to do. These things are expensive, Another option is to wire 2, 50 amp receptacles, but...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

GFCI Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer... I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied...

View more questions Search