Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    degoqueen Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Nys labor laws
    I just got told that I have to work a 10 hr shift on one day a week.. with only a 1/2 lunch.. is that illegal?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 08:42 AM

Hello d:

I don't know if it's legal or not. We've got some NY lawyers here and maybe they'll chime in. To me, it's not an unreasonable request. Given that the law generally is reasonable, it would be my guess that it's legal...

But, more importantly, if it's NOT legal, are you willing to risk your job over it? It's two lousy hours, and a shorter lunch period. If it takes you over 40, you'll be paid time and a half for 'em.

excon
    degoqueen Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2010, 08:44 AM

I understand that but they keep changing my work schedule like every 2 weeks. I sit at a desk all day.. and take calls from angry people.. my lunch break is my time away from everything..
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by degoqueen View Post
    i understand that but they keep changing my work schedule like every 2 weeks. i sit at a desk all day.. and take calls from angry people.. my lunch break is my time away from everything..
    Hello again, d:

They don't sound like they're wonderful to work for. Nonetheless, you ARE working. There's lot's of people who aren't. That is, unless you think you can find something else right away with a better company, then I'd quit. I don't like working for buttheads either.

Look. Even if it IS illegal, if you complain, they'll fire you, and there will be NOTHING you can do about it. Certainly, you're not going to sue them, and complaining to some bureaucrat ain't going to do ANY good.

excon
    efgillen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Is there a minimum of hours to work in a shift or when called in... or when a schedule is changed?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
    In NY? You added your question to an old thread, so I'm not certain where you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

,NYS inheritance tax laws [ 4 Answers ]

My mother & stepfather possess $400,000 in realestate,& $300,000 in cash. The Realestate was recently sold for one dollar to my "STEP BROTHER" ,born in wedlock to my mother & stepfather! My stepfather has 2 other sons,& there are 4 children from my mothers marrige to my father. Although the lions...

Labor Laws [ 3 Answers ]

Can an employer make it mandatory that you attend weekly training sessions, but not pay you for that training?

Labor Laws [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working as Executive Assistant for the President/Owner of this company for 16years. He and I work in the same office that is located in the main house on an estate. The rest of his employees are located in the guest house. Due to his inability to view the comings and goings of all of...

FL Labor laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I show up to work as scheduled and upon arrival they tell me they don't need me are they required to pay me for a minimum amount of scheduled hours

Labor laws [ 2 Answers ]

I am thirteen and interested in working, all I want to know is the labor laws and age requirements to be able to work. I am not interested in working during the school year, but during the summer. Thanks. Ps I live in the state of nevda if that helps.

View more questions Search