Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1950Buick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Burning wires water heaters
    Hello,

Can anybody please help me. I have an electrical Whilpool hot water heater. I noticed a burning smell coming from a control box, that says Energy Smart which is located on top of the water heater. When I shut the breaker and opened up the box lid I saw two meted wires and wire caps, a red one and a black one. My water heater is dated 1999 and is this how they usually go out, because it is very dangerous. I would not think that wires would burn up as a signal that your water heater needs replacement. My guess is that it is an inherent problem with how the unit was made.

Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:02 AM

No, it's not how they usually go out. The burnt insulation concerns me. Loose connections and poor contacts will do it and so will a wire that's udersized or a breaker that's oversized.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the control box and post using Go advanced / Manage attachments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my water heater and I have 2 ground wires and only one will fit under the screw. Is it appropriate to take the uncoded copper wire,cut it short and wrap electrical tape around it?

Two Water Heaters [ 1 Answers ]

I know this has been asked before. My problem is when I have family visiting for a weekend I run out of hot water pretty quick. I am limited as far as space goes. I was told I can hook two water heaters together to increase the amount of hot water. My plan of action is to bring my cold water into...

Water heaters vs. Tankless water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious about advantages of tankless over a traditional water heater.

Radiator fan wires burning up. [ 4 Answers ]

The fan on my radiator quit working in my 95 dodge caravan. I decided to wire it up to the battery. There were four wires (Black, Green, White/Green, Greening Yellow.) I only wired the Black (ground) and the hot green up to the battery and the fan works fine. After about 10 minutes though the...

Compressor wires burning [ 1 Answers ]

What will cause the wiring on the compressor of a lennox ac unit to burn

View more questions Search