Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tearbear06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 06:44 PM
    If I am on a 1099 can I still get unemployment if I get fired from a job
    My husband was laid off since June 1st.His boss called him Friday saying they want him to come back to work on Monday but he has to fill out a 1099.Our question is if he is on a 1099 and they lay him off again will he be able to collect unemployment still? He is currently on unemployment.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 06:46 PM

No, 1099 contractors do not contribute to Unemployment benefits and, therefore, cannot collect them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

A person getting a 1099 is not an employee, they are a contractor,
    So your contract is stopped more than actually being fired.

Next you don't "fill out a 1099" a 1099 is what is used for taxes they give you instead of a W2. Most likely it is a contract putting him on a 1099 status.

As a 1099, no taxes are held out either, so his money should be a lot higher than normal pay. First they don't pay a matching 15 percent social security taxes, that he will have to pay so his pay has to be that much higher just to be equal.

Plus he will not be covered by workers comp, unemployment and other company benefits
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 07:20 AM

And I will add that he must qualify as a 1099 contractor. An employer can't simply change a person's status UNLESS AND UNTIL that person meets certain requirements.

I'd be very careful here - I see this being done for the benefit of the employer, not your husband.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fired can I get unemployment in Tn? [ 12 Answers ]

I was fired from one of the big home improvement retailers. Reason they gave me was I was heard off duty saying something wrong about the company and manager? Can I get unemployment in the state of Tn? I know there first answer will be no but I want to know how to get it. Ive never been on...

I my separation notice says I quit but I was fired for T&A can ;I get unemployment [ 1 Answers ]

I commuted 81 miles one way work for 12 years. The traffic worsened a great deal over that time. For the past few years especially. The hospital enacted a new time and attendance policy which was too strict. (one infraction even for being one minute late You could not h ave over 12...

Unemployment benefits after being fired with cause [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for over a year for company "A". I was fired for being late to work too often and denied unemployment benefits. Few monthes later went to work for company "B". Then I was laid off after two monthes. Can I apply again for unemployment benefits? I live in Texas and I am having a hard time...

Fired from my job at church [ 12 Answers ]

I worked for a church as their Worship Director for 3.5 years and was let go this past May. I've been married to an abusive man for 15 years, and long-story-short, I wrongly got myself involved in an emotional affair with another man... someone who understood what I was going through. Another...

Fired from my job [ 3 Answers ]

A co-worker and I got into an altercation. We were in another town, and that supervisor never said anything. So about 8 hours go bye we finish the job, and then we drive 2 hours to our dock. I went to sleep for about 4 or 5 hours, and when I get up my supervisor calls me in the office and tells...

View more questions Search