Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bedford2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Our first home
    My fiancé, and I are planning to buy a house together, and my credit is good enough, and his lacks 15 points from the minimum required. I am still in college and have a low income, and he would be the primary source of income. So we were wondering which of score they would go off, and if they could use my credit score and his income, how that would work? Also, which of us would get the tax credit?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 03:09 PM

Why not finish college first, get married, and then buy a house when you are in a much better situation financially.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 03:51 PM

They will look at both scores, and both incomes if you are doing it jointly.

Again, I will agree, there is a time and place to buy a home, When you get out of college and he has time to improve his credit would be the best.

Also wait for the magic word "married" for sure, since if things go south badly, you want to have divorce court to be able to help divide up the property

Mar 27, 2010, 06:56 PM

I didn't ask for relationship advice, or advice on life. I came here for an answer on mortgage loans. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it, Thank You.

Mar 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

I would have posted this under relationships if I wanted that advice, now please can we stay on topic?
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:01 PM

It is, it is very poor time to get a loan under the conditions you listed.

They will use both incomes and both credit reports.

There needs to be a contract between the two parties as to what happens to the property if the two break up.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:41 PM

My comments had to do with the terrible housing and mortgage situation, not your relationship. The best thing to do would be to go to a mortgage-lending bank and ask your questions. Each bank handles it differently. I'm guessing your chances of even getting a loan in the first place are much better if you are married (i.e. in a stable relationship). Banks these days do NOT want to take risks.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 08:32 PM

Plus in college, it is likely you may decide to relocate after college.

Short term, at least in most of the US, you can expect house vaules to keep going down for another year or so.

Advice is not always what you want, but sometmes what you need.

Mar 27, 2010, 09:25 PM

Fr_Chuck... I get what you are say about the advice thing, but honestly you don't know anything about us, or our situation. So, until then unless you want to help me with my question on the mortgage loans, don't even bother posting. Leave the relationship stuff to the ones in the relationship.
    SO PLEASE JUST THE STUFF ON THE TOPIC... Mortgages
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford2009 View Post
    Fr_Chuck...I get what you are say about the advice thing, but honestly you don't know anything about us, or our situation. So, until then unless you want to help me with my question on the mortgage loans, don't even bother posting. Leave the relationship stuff to the ones in the relationship.
    SO PLEASE JUST THE STUFF ON THE TOPIC.....Mortgages
    FrChuck WAS on-topic. There is no longer one way banks handle mortgages. There used to be direct and straight answers to your questions. Those days are over! As I said earlier, "The best thing to do would be to go to a mortgage-lending bank [one you are interested in doing business with] and ask your questions. Each bank handles it differently."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I receive the home buyers credit if I bought the home from my wife's family [ 3 Answers ]

My wife an I bought a house belonging to my wife's parents and her uncle in may 2009 for full price of $75000. We obtained an HUD loan and now living in the house after fixing it up a little.We are first time home buyers making below $50000 per year with a disabled child and are going to file for...

Can I get the home encencentive if I buy the home from my fathers estate at full mar [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get the home encencentive if I buy the home from my fathers estate at full market value

Primary Home in Florida Another home in Missouri now foreclosure but Husband had 1099 [ 7 Answers ]

Husband works for Companies out of Missouri... and receives 1099... all of his time that is free is spent in Florida But even though had a home in Missouri, he was never there... maybe a few days a month But spent more time here in Florida. Do we file taxes in Florida? And... we previously...

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

View more questions Search