Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willymiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Infrared game/trail cameras--motion vs. heat detection.
    I have two game/trail cameras that seem to function very differently. I'm wondering if they use the same method of detection for triggering a shot.

One camera is the Stealth MC2-GV. It's a 35mm type and specs state that it uses heat motion detection. It triggers well at about 35 feet--- almost instantly.

The other camera is the more expensive Moultrie Digital Game 100 camera. Specs state that it, too, triggers at 35 ft. using infrared heat detection. I can only get it to trigger at about 3 to 5 ft.

When I asked the company's repair technician about this, he says that's because it detects heat, not motion. He says it is designed for aiming at game feeders and requires about seven seconds of strong heat to trigger.

Something seems odd here, but I can't figure it out. I sent the camera in for repair once and it still only triggers at 3-5 ft. At that time the tech said it was because it was summer and it couldn't detect heat differential as well. Its now winter and it still can't.

Am I misunderstanding two different types of detection? Need advice. Thanks.

Note: Just checked and the Moultrie camera manual states it uses a "passive infrared" censor to "detect motion." The manual for the Stealth camera says it uses a "PIR sensor to activate camera using heat and motion."

Is there a difference?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 05:48 AM
    PIR stands for Passive Infrared, so they are both the same technology. PIR looks for sudden temperature changes once they settle down to seeing no changes or motion.

Drafts and breezes can affect the operation of these. Most units have a certain range and may be adjustable.

Thou I have no photography knowledge, except to know which button to hit to take a picture, and try to keep the camera still, PIR is popular with motion sensors, occupancy sensors, burgular alarm systems, so only sharing some info on the PIR sensors that may be helpful.

Here are a few web pages that may help more:
    http://www.lightsearch.com/resources...s/sensors.html
    http://kitsrus.com/pdf/k30.pdf
    http://www.shed.com/tutor/sensors2.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trail of Tears [ 1 Answers ]

I have just finished ready "Thirteen Moons" and got interested in the Trail of Tears, (Cherokee removal program). I wanted to read more about it. I think Amazon has over 6000 titles of that subject. Can any recommend a definitive book about the Trail of Tears? Non-fiction would be preferred....

Upgrading cameras ? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently using a 3.5 mp Sony cyber-shot that is a couple of years old. I am somewhat frustrated with it because I have to be reasonably close to things (something dogs don't like), but not too close (VERY hard to get good flower photos) and the colors are "off" on the blue/black/purple...

No network detection, help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a PC running windows xp home sp2 which I am trying to connect via lan cable to a laptop running windows xp pro sp2, unfortunately when I connect the computers, no network registers. The network cards are installed but are both the same (Realtek RL8139). I have connected each computer to...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Infrared adapter [ 9 Answers ]

I have purchased a china make IrDA adapter (USB). But when I tried to install the driver, I got a message that the driver is not having windows logo stamped. Will it be harmful to the machine if I install this? Any suggestions to overcome this? Thanks

View more questions Search