Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Actsas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
    How do you find average inventory using only ending inventory and COGS?
    In searching the Internet on a method of how to do this, all examples include beginning inventory and purchases to determine average inventory. I know ending inventory for one year is beginning inventory for the next, but when you don't have information on purchases, how does one arrive at finding the answer? This is a homework question. The answer I am trying to arrive at is Inventory Turnover, but you need to know what the Average Inventory is in order to divide it into the Costs of Goods Sold. Thanks.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 10:57 AM

The average inventory is the beginning inventory + ending inventory divided by 2.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 02:32 AM

In other words, purchases aren't involved in finding average inventory. You are mixing up two things you are seeing.

In a periodic inventory system, purchases are used in determining the ending inventory. However, once that is determined, the ending inventory shows up on the balance sheet and you've already got your number. So you don't need purchases if you already have ending inventory.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Mar 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Actsas View Post
    In searching the Internet on a method of how to do this, all examples include beginning inventory and purchases to determine average inventory. I know ending inventory for one year is beginning inventory for the next, but when you don't have information on purchases, how does one arrive at finding the answer? This is a homework question. The answer I am trying to arrive at is Inventory Turnover, but you need to know what the Average Inventory is in order to divide it into the Costs of Goods Sold. Thanks.
    As any one would understand the problem, you are required to calculate inventory turnover and the only information available is the COGS and ending inventory.

Granted that inventory turnover is usually calculated by using average inventory, but where the amount of beginning inventory is not given then it is prudent to use the ending inventory. You do not need to bother any more with the non availability of beginning inventory in these conditions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find ending inventory using the average inventory cost method [ 3 Answers ]

The Boxwood Company Sells blankets for $60 each. Purchase 5 units 30$ Purchase 10 units 34$ Purchase 10 units 40$ Sale 3 units Sale 6 units Sale 3 units Assuming that the company uses the perpetual inventory system, determine the ending inventory for the month of May using the average...

Determine the ending inventory under a perpetual inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! I've honestly spent a long time trying to figure this out, but I keep getting the answer wrong and I'm not sure how I should go about this question. I'm not asking for you to just give me the answer, if you have time to give a little explanation that would be nice so I could understand what...

Cannot Find COGS on this particular one (Calculating Beg. Manuf. Inventory) [ 1 Answers ]

The following data pertain to Graham Company's operations in May: May 1 May 31 Work in process inventory $7,800 $12,200 Raw materials inventory $15,500 ? Finished goods inventory ? $20,800 Other data: Raw materials used $42,500...

FIFO-LIFO- Ending Inventory-COGS formula needed. [ 0 Answers ]

I need your help on the following question I can not seem to get this: Beginning Inventroy: 1,000 units @$10 per unit Purchases: 3,000 units @$12 per unit Sales: 3,500 units @$16 per unit Ending Inventory: 500 units Compute both the ending inventroy value and cost of goods sold using each of...

Find Cost of goods sold and ending inventory using.average cost/FIFO/LIFO [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a hard time with the fifo and lifo method... of this question Began with 73 yards @ 23 per yard During the month the company made the following purchases. March 3/4 113 yards @ 27 3/12 81 yards @ 29 3/19 167 yards @ 32 3/25 44 yards @ 35

View more questions Search