Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phelpsfan08 Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Mar 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Eating organic
    I am thinking about starting to eat organic food. I just need some tips on how to get started & I am on a very tight budget. Also, because so many social events revolve around food.. how do I continue eating organic at all the restaurants that people who are in the college/career age group go to, and especially at events where others cook, like going to a friends house? Any advice?
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 08:31 AM

It actually is very difficult to do this, as many places do not use organic foods.

At many grocery stores, there is an organic section, where you can find some organic ingredients and various foods.

Going green can often be expensive. However sometimes, you can find great deals. Like last week organic bananas were on sale at my family's preferred grocer.

As for events, you can't really control what others make, but you can offer to bring a few organic dishes for you and others to enjoy.

Consult those working at the restaurant on whether the foods are certified organic.

Like I said, this may be difficult, but it is possible.

Good luck!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 05:45 PM

My first question would be why?
    Organic basically means no pesticides no chemicals right?
    They charge you an arm and a leg in the grocery store for Organic:eek: Can you really trust them:confused:

I don't believe you will ever be able to go completely Organic unless you grow your own veggies and never eat anywhere but at home.

I'm sorry but the whole thing sounds crazy to me and I have tried a lot of things.

I can buy an Organic small tomato at $1.50 or buy the regular one at $.35. I'm going with the cheap tomato and washing.

I do however grow a lot of my own vegetables, only because I enjoy it. I always stay away from the Organic dept, just don't understand why.

A family member once asked my Step Mother in Law, also my best friend (long title) if the Artichoke she was serving was Organic? She wasn't quite sure how to answer this considering it was grown in her garden and picked that afternoon and everyone knew that.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what it actually means to be Organic?

Sorry for the long post:)
    MayaLocke Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2010, 01:36 PM

The word "organic" may appear on packages of meat, cartons of milk or eggs, cheese and other single-ingredient foods. Certified organic requires the rejection of synthetic agrochemical, irradiation and genetically engineered foods or ingredients. Literally, of course, the term is a redundancy: all food is composed of organic chemicals (complex chemicals containing carbon). Any materials used in the production or processing of organic food must be proven safe. Awareness is growing about the value of organic foods. But, whether organic chicken or pesticide-free lettuce represents "healthier" alternatives has long been a subject for debate.

Organic Items
    FloridaFisher Posts: 121, Reputation: 5

Apr 19, 2010, 01:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    My first question would be why?
    Organic basically means no pesticides no chemicals right?
    They charge you an arm and a leg in the grocery store for Organic:eek: Can you really trust them:confused:

I don't believe you will ever be able to go completely Organic unless you grow your own veggies and never eat anywhere but at home.

I'm sorry but the whole thing sounds crazy to me and I have tried a lot of things.

I can buy an Organic small tomato at $1.50 or buy the regular one at $.35. I'm going with the cheap tomato and washing.

I do however grow a lot of my own vegetables, only because I enjoy it. I always stay away from the Organic dept, just don't understand why.

A family member once asked my Step Mother in Law, also my best friend (long title) if the Artichoke she was serving was Organic? She wasn't quite sure how to answer this considering it was grown in her garden and picked that afternoon and everyone knew that.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what it actually means to be Organic?

Sorry for the long post:)
    No offense but this "washing it off" thing is a bit absurd.. If you could simply wash off the fact that most produce is nuked and has been pumped full of chemicals then why would organics even have a market? There's a reason.. and yes, you should trust most places that do, but you should also buy locally. Buying locally ensures direct local economy support and you know it was fresh picked, traveled once over a short distance, and never processed.
    I work as an sub-contracted laborer for a buddy of mine on his hydroponically grown organic veggies, greens, fruits, herbs, lettuces, cucumbers, etc. I know first hand there's a HUGE difference. Also, buying locally you're not paying for it to be shipped from Mexico etc.. You can usually talk to them and haggle prices and get lower prices for bulk or for pre-ordering and so forth.. Google local farmers markets and find one near you. I live in the Orlando, FL area and I know of two big ones nearby plus cage-free and free ranged eggs, honey, breads, dairy products, and even pet foods. There's a whole big world of organics all around you.. You just got to tap into it.. Goodluck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Organic Gardening [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to start an organic garden... but need some direction. Since we are beginners, would anyone recommend a book that is highly useful for this great hobby? Now we aren't trying to grow a farm... just something to feed the family. Thanks... ;)

Organic and inorganic [ 1 Answers ]

Do C & H must be connected or as long as the compound has C & H to be considered organic? MELAMINE has C & H

Organic Chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

What is the word :homologues series means . Simply explain how ethene can be prepared from ethanol.

View more questions Search