Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tarak_Datta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 03:29 AM
    sf6 current transformer
    In case of sf6 gas leakage in the current transformer below the safe limit value, what happen to the current transformer?
    Tarak
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Mar 30, 2010, 07:12 PM

The SF-6 gas used in current transformers perform two functions. One is electrical insulation, the second is cooling. Loss of the SF-6 gas also means that the CT is open to the atmosphere and may be incurring moisture and air infiltration. Since most SF-6 gas insulated CTs are high voltage devices, 200 kV to 745 kV, going below the safe limits means the risk of a short circuit of the primary lead to ground. As mentioned above you may also experience CT failure do to loss of cooling. Hope this helps.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 05:53 AM

I thought they came with built in safety mechanisms. Some valve that if the pressure isn't maintained, or there is current leak then it shuts off.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 06:09 AM

Never mind, I read the question wrong. To add something more constructive... don't forget how SF6 is used as arc preventative, not only because of its insulating qualities but because of its reactivity. A leak without shut down could fry the whole unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate the short time current rating for current transformer? [ 4 Answers ]

Respected sir's, Please clear my doubts? How to calculate the "short time current rating"(i.e-primary short time current rating-like if u take 400-400/5-15va/class1,40ka/3sec). 40ka/3sec-how to calculate this rating from the substation? Is there any formula?please advise me... ...

Sf6 circuit breaker operation without sf6 gas [ 5 Answers ]

What happens when a SF6 Circuit Breaker is operated (closed or opened ) without any SF6 gas inside it ?

Transformer current [ 2 Answers ]

what is the current rating of 100 KVA distribution transformer with ratings as V = 11KV/0.4KV f = 50Hz

Current transformer - short time withstand current [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, For ring-type (window-type) CT, do we need to size the CT short time withstand current at the same or above the system short time withstand current (short circuit level)? Any reference/technical explanation? Thanks!

View more questions Search