Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tandah Posts: 67, Reputation: 5

Mar 26, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Depression in 2 year old?
    My two year old daughter has changed completely since I brought home her little brother. There is 2 years between them.
    She was never a big eater but now I can't get her to eat anything...
    She gets extremely upset when her brother crys ( who is 5 months now).. leaves the room when I talk to her or to her brother..
    It seems everything that I try doesn't work..
    I really bad because I can't give her all the attention she needs because I am taking care of a baby, cooking meals, cleaning, etc.. But I always try to keep her busy with colouring or giving her a book to look at, etc.
    Any suggestions?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Tandah, Your daughter isn't depressed per se, but most likely jealous. She was the light of your life until this new baby arrived and at two she didn't fully understand that this baby would be a permanent fixture in your lives when you brought him home.

You need to stop "trying to keep her busy" and find some time to spend mommy daughter time with her with NO interruptions. Most likely she is very angry that you don't have time to spend with her any more. You need to make that time.

I'm trying not to be harsh, but I was your daughter when I was little and my mother brought home my sister. I have been where your daughter is and my sister and I are not close.

You also need to understand that she is only two. Her thought processes aren't like ours. Do not punish her for her actions unless she tries to hurt the baby.

Can you get a sitter for a day so that you and your girl can have a mommy/daughter day? Take her to the park, have a picnic. Does she have a baby doll to "parent" when you are feeding your baby she can feed hers, etc. This is a good way to introduce responsibility as well.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Mar 26, 2010, 05:05 PM

Try involving her in helping you take care of the baby. Even at 2 she can fetch things he needs, gently rock his cradle with supervision, help choose his clothes.

Make sure you spend some special time with her everyday even if it means the house isn't as clean as usual and you have to cook simpler meals for a while. She needs a lot of reassurance that she is still loved and hasn't been replaced by a newer model.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depression,depression, depression on ex girlfriend. [ 8 Answers ]

After we broke up, I really wanted to forget her and such. More I tried, the more I step a few steps back. Now reminiscing I seriously feel she had cheated on me... and that might be the reason we broke up. It's been like half a year since we broke up but I still can't forget her. One of the reason...

My 4 year old has signs of ANXIETY and Depression [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is 4 and 4 months. She recently was moved from the 3's to the 4's in preschool and we have been having problems ever since. The other students started 6 months ago and her teacher is pressuring her to catch up with the other kids in writing/math and reading skills. My daughter cries...

Physical Depression more than Emotional Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard time getting up in the morning, I feel like I have no energy. I'm not just tired but drained of anything to make me get up. I also have been having a hard time remembering things, dizzy spells, nausea and weakness when lifting things. I do have some emotional depression but not as...

21 year old son with depression [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site , but I am looking for help for my son. My son is 21 years old he has been in college for 3 years and at 3 different Universities. I love him and we use to be very close. Each time he moved from a University it was a move up with outstanding GPA. He is now attending...

View more questions Search