Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doctor06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Do you think society places too much pressure on men?
    The weight of a relationship I feel will always fall on the shoulders of the man. I’m not saying the woman’s role isn’t as important, because to me she has to be my equal. But the success or failure of the relationship is judged by what the man has or hasn’t done. Do you think society places too much pressure on men, thus causing some to do what they do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor06 View Post
    Do you think society places too much pressure on men, thus causing some to do what they do?
    Hello doc:

Nahhh. If anything, more pressure is brought to bear on the females, in my opinion.

excon
    doctor06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
    [QUOTE=excon;2290654]Hello doc:

Nahhh. If anything, more pressure is brought to bear on the females, in my opinion.

Why do u feel like that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
    why do u feel like that?
    Hello again, doc:

It's really too deep to take up here... But, suffice to say, that a woman's role in our society is constantly changing, and that makes it real hard to keep up. Men, on the other hand, have had the same roles since cave man days: Get food. Bring home.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, doc:

It's really too deep to take up here... But, suffice to say, that a woman's role in our society is constantly changing, and that makes it real hard to keep up. Men, on the other hand, have had the same roles since cave man days: Get food. Bring home.

excon
    Whoa. Ok I have to draw a line here with that statement. I believe the fathers of today take a much more active role in child rearing then in days of old. Its unfortunate that the courts share your same value as the man being the breadwinner and not having ability to raise children. But in today's time I feel its very different then it used to be. A dad IS NOT just a walking wallet in a custody battle.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 14, 2010, 07:20 PM

I think you can thank the illuminati for this, they've done a great job at destroying the nuclear family.
    JMO
    So don't shoot me LOL...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2010, 12:54 PM

Woahh...

Excon never said that a man cannot rear a child, (correct me if I am wrong) just that he is expected to work. That hasn't changed since the dawn of man.

Women on the other hand get the short end, they have different expectations every decade, a whole new lifestyle.

Personally I believe that men and women are equal, however each, within a relationship or family, have different responsibilities. Some couples choose to have one parent work and the other stay home because they want to raise their child that way. Other couples work on both ends and hire a nanny. Some even balance the work on different shifts so that the child is always around a parent, however, they both can still work.

No matter how you do it, each person within a relationship will serve a different role (not just bringing up a child, not a specific role) and in turn will have different pressures. Each may look at the other and say mine is easier or harder, but the reality is what you see as pressure may or may not be the same thing your spouse will see as pressure.

I don't think there's one easy way to judge it.

Different expectations, how the roles within a relationship play out, and other factors will generally give clue to where the weight of the relationship lies.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2010, 08:06 AM

Man's role has not changed much. Any added responsibilities are probably things men should've been doing anyway.

The biggest change I see is that men have the added burden of women's choice. In that I mean that Excon is right ;men are the hunter gatherers that they have been since we were knuckle draggers.The added role men play is directly related to the choices the woman makes. Whether they decide to be stay at home moms or take on a career outside the home ;it is the role of the man to be in a position that the woman has the choice.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 27, 2010, 03:18 PM

Society does seem to be much harder on men just for being men, just look at the media and shows such as "Everybody Loves Raymond" for example. There would never be a show with the husband treating his wife that way.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
    The weight of a relationship I feel will always fall on the shoulders of the man. I'm not saying the woman's role isn't as important, because to me she has to be my equal. But the success or failure of the relationship is judged by what the man has or hasn't done. Do you think society places too much pressure on men, thus causing some to do what they do?
    If you are talking specifically about "the relationship," I would say no. Men and women experience different pressures. But I think women generally feel more responsibility to try to make a relationship work while it's in progress. Men tend not to give the relationship as much attention until the oil gage lights up. (On average; obviously not true of everyone).

BUT I would say that many boys are not as well prepared for making a relationship work. We spend hundreds of hours teaching our sons to hit a baseball or shoot baskets, but how much time do we spend teaching them that personal relationships are just as much about teamwork as any ball game. That means passing the ball and being there to receive it. It means paying attention, sharing the glory, and all those good things. I think too many boys are taught that their life partner is there to make their life easier. When she wants more of a partner, men feel confused and betrayed.

That's not to say women don't have their faults. Judging from this message board, I'd say the principal fault of women is not taking responsibility for their choices. But of course there are really important reasons that's so, not least that women were disenfranchised until recently. I.e, until 100 years ago, women didn't really have any choices. These social realities don't go away in a couple of generations.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Man's role has not changed much. Any added responsibilites are probably things men should've been doing anyway.

The biggest change I see is that men have the added burden of women's choice. In that I mean that excon is right ;men are the hunter gatherers that they have been since we were knuckle draggers.The added role men play is directly related to the choices the woman makes. Whether they decide to be stay at home moms or take on a career outside the home ;it is the role of the man to be in a position that the woman has the choice.
    Tom,
    I'm not going to argue with the substance of what you are saying, but I do have to point out that in traditional hunter gatherer societies, it is usually the women who do the gathering (not the men). Furthermore, the gatherers (mostly women) typically supply 60 to 90% of the calories of a tribe of hunter gatherers. On the other hand, we are nearly all descended from agricultural societies that have been in existence for about 10,000 years. It's not at all clear how people lived before that or how much of our social structure has been altered by farming.

Edit: In other species of animals, the relations between sexes are STRONGLY affected by resources. Just to give one example, in a bad year, foxes on an Alaskan island are monogamous. In a good year, they are not. You can see similar patterns in all kinds of species.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to ward off married men, men I don't want? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if there's something I'm doing wrong. I keep attracting these married men who or guys who I know don't care about me, but want to use me. And I'm not at all interested in any of them. I know I may be a kind, nice person but I'm no dummie either. And I tell these men I am celibate and...

In two different places. [ 21 Answers ]

Im going to try to keep this simple without too much babble... I recently met this girl who is pretty much what Im looking for in someone. It was a huge surprise to us both that we connected so fast and so strongly. It kind of blew both of us away. We talked honestly about what it meant for...

Low Hot Water Pressure in 2 places [ 5 Answers ]

I have hot water to 4 places in my house, the bathtub, the bathroom sink, the kitchen sink, and the clothes washer. Pressure in the bathroom sink and bathtub are fine. Pressure in the washer and at the kitchen sink are no more than a trickle. The cold water pressure is fine in all places. ...

Tell me what I should do I always get myself in this places [ 3 Answers ]

Yea yea I know another fight.. . This chick was calling my friend names. . Like relli mean1s. . So I started calling her names.. . But now she wants to punch me.. . should I apolgize, fight her or let it go?? Tell me what I should do

Replced Hot Water Heater - Low pressure in some places in house [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed out my hot water heater yesterday and have low pressure (hot and cold) in one bathroom and an outside outlet. The bathroom had low pressure in comparison with the other bathroom for quite some time but now can hardly fill the pipes for a shower. The outside has never had any issues....

View more questions Search