Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dustman777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 05:49 PM
    how do I get the WAP going?
    Hello,

I have 3 computers, 2 desktop, 1 laptop. I am on a cable modem, which connects to a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router. Both desktops connect directly by ethernet cable to the wireless router. The laptop easily accesses the internet by signal received from the wireless router.

I am using ZoneAlarm security suite, and it recently gave me the message that it had discovered a new computer connected to my network, and gave me the IP address (all 3 of my computers have the same IP address, and this new IP wasn't the same as mine).

It asked if I wanted to add it to my internet zone or my trusted sites. I didn't want either! Those were the only two options I was given, so I clicked on the X to close the window, and it immediately notified me that it had delegated it to my internet zone.

I have been frantically researching security measures I might take, and it seems I need to have WAP protection, but from that point it becomes utter chaos.

How in the world do I get it? I tried to go through control panel>wireless connection wizard>and it directed me to use a flash drive to enable the WAP. It stored the information on my flash drive, then it told me to install it on my wireless router. Yeah, right. Just how do I do that? There is no USB port on this router, there is no software (a CD came with the wireless router, but it only had general information, nothing to install on the computer itself). The wireless router doesn't even show up in device manager.

I am worried that someone locally is accessing my wireless connection and possibly my computers, and I don't know what in the world to do to stop it. I thought my ZA security suite would help, but it seems to just be easing the sneak in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dusty
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 10, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Heh, I assume you are looking for WEP encryption or (Wired Equivalent Protection) This gives you up to a 128 bit security code to allow access. To do this you should be able to use this link to access settings on your wireless router. :https://www.routerlogin.net/ Once you get to your router page, you can choose to enable WEP. More information should be available from the manufactures website, as Netgear does have a pretty good support site.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

WAP vs Router [ 14 Answers ]

So what is the difference between WAP and a router? I have a router with 4 computers wireless and 2 desktops wired. All have their own internet access (I don't access the internet through any one computer). I want to get a wireless printer server. Would I hook that up to another port on the...

View more questions Search