Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Share Some Of Your Childhood Memories About Your Dad
    In April of 2002, my Dad went home to be with the Lord. This is time each year I reflect a lot on his death. Sometimes I still can't believe he's gone. I miss him so much! I have so many incredible memories of my childhood. I think I have come to a place in my life where I can finally say goodbye to him because I know I will see him again someday. What I would like to ask all of you is to share some of your memories of your dad with me. Some happy memories you have. Thanks to all of you at AMHD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6QJP4khPM - 121k
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:21 PM

My dad died unexpectedly in 1994 of a massive heart attack doing what he loved doing -- interacting with his parishioners at a church meeting.

As a pastor, he was always on call day and night, but he somehow managed to give his four children lots of special memories. My mom was the maintenance parent, always checking that our faces and clothes were clean and presentable, our toys picked up and put away before bedtime, our dietary needs met with both vegetables and homemade cookies.

Our dad was the fun parent who sang to us, played board games with us on long evenings when he had no meetings at church, stopped in at lunchtime to eat a quick sandwich with us, challenged us with word games at the dinner table, and loved to stop at tourist traps and historical markers on our 1950s six-day car trips on two-lane roads from North Carolina where we lived to grandparents' homes in Illinois and Idaho.

My dad was one of a kind!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:28 PM

Okay you asked, Kit. Every year from the time I was born, my mom and dad and I would go to Presquille Provincial Park for a week or two. That was my dad's time off work in the 40s. It wasn't a park then, and can be found on a map. It is on the south shore of Lake Ontario in part of the lovliest of southeastern Ontario. Of course these trips ended when I entered my teens.

He would drive on the beach, put the tent up and we would have Patsy our Airedale dog with us and have l or 2 weeks in the sun. Camping out and being in the open was what he enjoyed best. Cooking on a Coleman stove... what wonderful food !

That time has never escaped me. I go there often, in memory, and physically. It is now a Provincial Park and regulated.

My loveliest childhood memories are on that beach with water and sand, and the dog and my mom and dad. They are both gone now. My son and I have gone back there. He loves it too.

My wishes are that when I am cremated, he throw my ashes to the wind on that beach and he is perfectly happy to do that for me.

This is one of those moments when I really appreciate being here on AMHD. What a sense of community and knowing lovely people like you !

Lots of hugs for this, your time of remembering.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Hey, Kitkat22!

My dad died on Christmas Day in 1982. Hard to forget that. I remember that when he was going through his cancer and subsequent treatment, what a brave person he was!

When I would cry and fall on my knees in front of him, I remember him saying that it "was just one of those things". He also was very concerned about our family being "held" together. We would hug, embrace, pray, etc. But, another family member was never a part of that...

Well, being together and of like minds didn't happen for all who were in the family...

We tried, though...

Everyone and every family has a story to tell. Some happy things and sometimes the events weren't so happy...

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Later...
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 08:53 PM
    Originally posted by Kitkat22
    Clough ,Thank You So Much ! I appreciate you more than you will ever know!
    And, that's what she said, a long time ago... A love of my life, lost...

Oh, the stories that we could share...

I do appreciate what you write!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    And, that's what she said, a long time ago... A love of my life, lost...

Oh, the stories that we could share...

I do appreciate what you write!

Thanks!
    Clough it's not hard saying good things about good people. You're a very good man:)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:04 PM

And it is hard to say anything good about bad people...

My dad was an alcoholic, gamble, loser and a skirt chaser. Divorced my mother (me and my sister) when I was five. He didn't help with even one penny. Didn't see him again until I was 18 and he asked me for a loan... can you believe it. After he left he had three companies, was successful and lost it all... no good feeling there at all for him. He passed some time ago.

Step father... well that was even worse... won't bore you with it.

If I have anything good about who I am and how I was raised it is to my mother's credit and her belief in us and in God. Bless her soul.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:18 PM

Stringer, hugs to you.

I lost my dad on January 12, 2001, he was 60 years old.

I have so many favorite memories, I could write a few books about both my parents.

One of my favorites was in the summer. I think I was around 12 years old but I'm not sure. I was allowed to stay home alone so I must have been 12.

Anyway, my parents were going out for dinner, all fancy, they got dolled up to the nines.

My friend and I were having a water fight in the backyard, it was a really hot day.

As usual my dad was dressed and ready before my mom, so he came outside to back the car out of the garage, put bird feed in the bird feeder, little things to stay busy while waiting for my mom.

My friend and I rounded the corner, he was by the hose, saw that we were having a water fight and decided to join in. He hit us full blast with the hose.

We decided to get even, grabbed our water guns and pails and the war was on. Dad lost.

He was laughing so hard. The look on his face, I'll never forget it. Just total abandon, having fun with his daughter, living. Because of that day I try to do things like this with my kids all the time, because it meant so much to me.

Of course my mom was a bit upset. My dad was dressed in his best, now he was soaked to the skin. He quickly went upstairs to change, but got in one final blast with the hose before he went.

That was one of my favorite moments with him.

I miss him so much. I know he'd be doing the same thing with his grandkids. :)
    Business Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Stringer, hugs to you.

I lost my dad on January 12, 2001, he was 60 years old.

I have so many favorite memories, I could write a few books about both my parents.

One of my favorites was in the summer. I think I was around 12 years old but I'm not sure. I was allowed to stay home alone so I must have been 12.

Anyway, my parents were going out for dinner, all fancy, they got dolled up to the nines.

My friend and I were having a water fight in the backyard, it was a really hot day.

As usual my dad was dressed and ready before my mom, so he came outside to back the car out of the garage, put bird feed in the bird feeder, little things to stay busy while waiting for my mom.

My friend and I rounded the corner, he was by the hose, saw that we were having a water fight and decided to join in. He hit us full blast with the hose.

We decided to get even, grabbed our water guns and pails and the war was on. Dad lost.

He was laughing so hard. The look on his face, I'll never forget it. Just total abandon, having fun with his daughter, living. Because of that day I try to do things like this with my kids all the time, because it meant so much to me.

Of course my mom was a bit upset. My dad was dressed in his best, now he was soaked to the skin. He quickly went upstairs to change, but got in one final blast with the hose before he went.

That was one of my favorite moments with him.

I miss him so much. I know he'd be doing the same thing with his grandkids. :)
    I am happy for you hon, I truly wish that I had that with him if he was a different man, he wasn't. I replaced him with a great uncle though, my surrogate 'father. :)
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I am happy for you hon, I truly wish that I had that with him if he was a different man, he wasn't. I replaced him with a great uncle though, my surrogate 'father. :)
    Stringer, I realized long ago that not everyone is as lucky as I was when it comes to parents. That's why they died young. Only the good die young.

You turned into a wonderful man. A wonderful husband. A wonderful father. A wonderful friend.

I wouldn't change you for anything. :)
    Business Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Stringer, I realized long ago that not everyone is as lucky as I was when it comes to parents. That's why they died young. Only the good die young.

You turned into a wonderful man. A wonderful husband. A wonderful father. A wonderful friend.

I wouldn't change you for anything. :)
    Your opinion of me means a lot, thanks hon I really try. Night; sleepy and full... :)
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Your opinion of me means a lot, thanks hon I really try. Night; sleepy and full.... :)
    You just had to mention the "full" part. Didn't you? :rolleyes:

Goodnight dear. Sweet dreams. :)
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My dad died unexpectedly in 1994 of a massive heart attack doing what he loved doing -- interacting with his parishioners at a church meeting.

As a pastor, he was always on call day and night, but he somehow managed to give his four children lots of special memories. My mom was the maintenance parent, always checking that our faces and clothes were clean and presentable, our toys picked up and put away before bedtime, our dietary needs met with both vegetables and homemade cookies.

Our dad was the fun parent who sang to us, played board games with us on long evenings when he had no meetings at church, stopped in at lunchtime to eat a quick sandwich with us, challenged us with word games at the dinner table, and loved to stop at tourist traps and historical markers on our 1950s six-day car trips on two-lane roads from North Carolina where we lived to grandparents' homes in Illinois and Idaho.

My dad was one of a kind!
    Wonderful and very meaningful memories, Wondergirl!
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 02:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Okay you asked, Kit. Every year from the time I was born, my mom and dad and I would go to Presquille Provincial Park for a week or two. That was my dad's time off work in the 40s. It wasnt a park then, and can be found on a map. It is on the south shore of Lake Ontario in part of the lovliest of southeastern Ontario. Of course these trips ended when I entered my teens.

He would drive on the beach, put the tent up and we would have Patsy our Airedale dog with us and have l or 2 weeks in the sun. Camping out and being in the open was what he enjoyed best. Cooking on a Coleman stove...what wonderful food !

That time has never escaped me. I go there often, in memory, and physically. It is now a Provincial Park and regulated.

My loveliest childhood memories are on that beach with water and sand, and the dog and my mom and dad. They are both gone now. My son and I have gone back there. He loves it too.

My wishes are that when I am cremated, he throw my ashes to the wind on that beach and he is perfectly happy to do that for me.

This is one of those moments when I really appreciate being here on AMHD. What a sense of community and knowing lovely people like you !

lots of hugs for this, your time of remembering.

tick
    You have some wonderful memories, tickle! My hope and wish is too, that my daughter will scatter my ashes in the place where I wish!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 04:03 AM
    And it is hard to say anything good about bad people....

My dad was an alcoholic, gamble, loser and a skirt chaser. Divorced my mother (me and my sister) when I was five. He didn't help with even one penny. Didn't see him again until I was 18 and he asked me for a loan....can you believe it. After he left he had three companies, was successful and lost it all.....no good feeling there at all for him. He passed some time ago.

Step father...well that was even worse...won't bore you with it.

If I have anything good about who I am and how I was raised it is to my mother's credit and her belief in us and in God. Bless her soul.
    Stringer... Your Mom did an incredible job... Look how great you are!:)
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 05:24 AM

The greatest memory I have of the old man is when I was 15. My best friend, we consider each other brothers, and I were jamming in my basement--I'm a drummer and he's a guitarist--and my dad, gaunt from cancer, came down the stairs and said, "sounds good boys, if you keep it up you can make a lot of money someday". I didn't think much of it, but it stuck with my friend and he still recalls it to this day as if it was a prophecy. I thought it was bunk then, but now I believe it. That happened over nine years ago.

That band broke up for seven years ago and recently we started up that same band again under a new name. We had our first gig together in seven years last Friday, and we're going to a bar tonight to get another gig for our band. His words have really driven us.

He died in January of 2002, and I was 16 at the time.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 12:59 AM
    Hey Kit,thanks for starting this great thread which I found just as I was really sad,remembering my dad who passed away April 1st 2004.

He was a great guy,the eldest of 12 children who went to work when he left school at the age of twelve,saved up his money and went on to become an accountant.

Dad married rather late in life,so he was pushing fifty when I was born.

My best childhood memories are berrypicking in the forests near our holiday home and fishing the Baltic for herring.

He was a very supportive father,who encouraged me to become an independent person.

Right up until the day he died,he was in the best of health, then his dear heart gave up during his morning jog.

He was 91 years old.

So here is to you Tage,my dad,thank you for the memories.
    R.I.P.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 01:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amicon View Post

Dad married rather late in life,so he was pushing fifty when I was born.

So here is to you Tage,my dad,thank you for the memories.
    R.I.P.
    Yes, wonderful thread! My parents were in their 40's when they had me. So, they're now long gone...
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 01:24 AM

I'm glad I found this thread-when I most needed it.

It's sad when our parents pass,but they live on in our hearts and our memories.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Yes they do! I wasn't mature enough to play for my dad's funeral. When my mom passed in 1997, I played, sang and spoke at her funeral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about lost childhood memories [ 4 Answers ]

I barely remember my childhood up until about 12 to 13. I think I know why, but I still want to remember. My mom left me for about a year between 5 and 6 years old. I was with my dad at this time. The thing is I don't remember clearly my childhood until I was about 13. I always thought I had an...

So many memories [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the names of this guys? They were little soldiers about an inch tall they were tan or black, they came out late 80/early 90's, they had vehicles and even a base.. any ideas?

Lost childhood memories [ 4 Answers ]

I can not remember any part of my childhood. I am 16 years of age, and can't remember things about my family from when I was even 11. I did not have a bad home life, but my mother was bi-polar manic depressive, and I seem to have blocked out all memory of her in my childhood, including both good...

Memories [ 2 Answers ]

:-[ I don't know how to say that... but I seem to lose my memories too fast. Like last year memories I can't remmember anything but the big events... is there anything I can do or practice to improve my memory ablitiy. Thanks...

View more questions Search