Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muffinho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Is it normal for dog not to bark at all
    Went to view a 3 months old toy poodle and she does not bark at all throughout the half an hour with her. The other dogs barked when I walked into the pet shop but she does not bark at all. Was very worried that she might be deaf or having some knid of illness. She was also not active at all and today she also seem to have flu and cough. Please advise whether shd I get her as I am very interested in her.
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 09:06 AM

You should never buy a dog from a pet shop. Buy from a reputable breeder. Buying from a breeder actually saves you money because you are likely to have a well adjusted, well fed, healthy pup. However, most pups in pet shops come from puppy mills, muffin, and you wouldn't want to know how they are born; so yes, that dog is probably sick and too inter bred, possibly deaf.

Tick
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 09:10 AM

Please don't buy from a petstore. Pet store puppies are typically always sick due to the conditions they are born into. Pet store puppies are not high quality, supurb breeding. They're actually the cheapest dog that you will be paying top money for.

These puppies come from puppy mills. Typically, the large chain puppy stores will buy from the huge puppy farms. The ones that make it to the pet stores are the pups that actually do have a strong will to live. But they're not necessarily healthy. These pups are genetically a disaster.. Most of these dogs are inbred 3 times over. There is almost a guarantee that you will run into problems... The pup will be shell shocked, scared, sick and more.

The dog is already displaying symptoms of being sick. Why are you even considering purchasing a sick dog? There are so many healthy ones out there to choose from.

The type of puppy you are looking at was purchased by this pet store for a couple bucks. The pet store is turning around and selling this pup for premium price.. probably close to $2g...

Here is some good info about pet store puppies. Puppy Mills : Animal Cops: Philadelphia : Animal Planet

Please reconsider buying this dog. Not only is it sick, its is, unfortunately, bad product.

If your interested in purchasing a quality toy poodle, visit AKC.org.. There are lists of rep. breeders for your area. If you're interested in adopting.. please visit Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder . There are tons of dogs that are waiting to find a home.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 09:29 AM

I wouldn't be concerned about the puppy not barking.

I would however be concerned about that puppy being in a pet store/
    I urge you not to buy your puppy from a pet store, they are either from puppy mills or backyard breeders.

Now I know this doesn't bother some people but you are really setting yourself up for possible heartbreak in the future.

I have put together this little guide to give you an idea about Reputable Breeders Vs Pet Store Dogs (Puppy Mill and Backyard Breeder puppies)

Here's an idea of the 3 different types of breeder:

Choosing what dogs are bred from:
    Reputable Breeder: Only the highest quality, healthiest dogs are bred from to ensure healthy, well structured dogs.
    Backyard Breeder:Any 2 dogs will do, no health testing (genetic tests) complete disregard for quality of dogs used.
    Puppy Mill:Anything that will make them money, the more often the dog has been bred the better, the more puppies they produce the better.

Whelping of the Puppies and Care:
    Reputable Breeder:B*tches are monitored when close to due date, ALL necessary equipment available (whelping box, heat lamps, antiseptic, etc etc etc) Puppies are vacc, wormed and microchipped before being rehomed, puppy packs are given (containing vital information and supplies)
    Backyard Breeder:Occasionally will have a whelping box, more often that not don't know much about whelping a litter. Puppies may come vacc and wormed.
    Puppy Mill: Puppies are whelped wherever they drop. Care includes throwing a blanket in with the b*tch, and if the puppies are lucky home vaccinations before going to pet store.

How the Breeders decide where the puppies are rehomed:
    Reputable Breeder:Will research into the prospective buyers, do backgound check, make sure owners have stable jobs, adequate fencing and know the basics about puppy care. Will ask questions about the particular breed to make sure it suits the buyers lifestyle and that they are positive this is the breed they want.
    Backyard Breeder:If the people sound nice they can have a puppy.
    Puppy Mill:Will sell to anyone who will give them money.

Health of the puppies:
    Reputable Breeder:They test for genetic disorders before even breeding their dogs. Genetic tests cannot be carried out by regular vets, blood sample taken at vets then sent away for analysis. If result comes back pos. for any genetic disorders dogs are not mated. Puppies have the best chance at a healthy life.
    Backyard Breeder:VERY rarely health test anything past getting their dog checked out by a vet to make sure it's healthy enough to carry a litter to term.
    Puppy Mill:Complete disregard for health.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 10:28 AM

I don't have anything more to add.
    I agree with everyone on here whole heartadly. Please check out adoption or reputable breeders before you think about buying a sick puppy from a puppy mill... err I mean pet store.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 11:29 AM

When you purchase a dog from a puppy mill/store, it encourages the puppy mills to produce more pups. Money is all they are concerned about.

In the mean time many dogs are abused and left to die.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't bark [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I got a 7 year old dog from a rescue centre I have had her a week now and she has never barked or so much as whined. She truly is silent and I'm a bit concerned, she enjoys a walk and is very friendly with us and strangers do you think she is depressed and what can I do to help here

Does anyone know if Lyme Disease is related to my dog not having the ability to bark [ 20 Answers ]

About 2 months ago my dog woke up and tried to bark. An odd noise came out and since then he has not been able to bark. A week ago he was diagnosed with Lyme disease and had a number of symptoms. Can this losing his bark have anything to do with the Lyme?

My dog won't bark [ 4 Answers ]

We just adopted a Hound dog (not kidding that's the breed) and she is as sweet as a lamb. 2 yrs old and healthy. Obvious signs of abuse so we are taking it very slow with her lots of love and assurance. She gets along with our cat and they are making their way as to who gets what room - peaceful...

My Dog won't Bark [ 4 Answers ]

We own a 8 mo miniture Dashound,when we purchased him he use to bark.But he has not barked since February.He did bark about 3 weeks ago,when our son attempted to take a t-bone from him.:) We have read up on this bread & found out they are barkey dogs.Our neighbor has three & all they do is...

Dog without bark, History [ 4 Answers ]

My beagle is a puppy and will not bark? I don't understand why, she will whine and growl. She trembles when she is watching a squirrel or something moving but won't do anything else please help me figure out why?? :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search