Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NomNomNoodles Posts: 33, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
    Core exercises with rib injury
    I broke my ribs about 4 weeks ago and it feels like the healing has plateaued but not fully healed yet.

I've already started doing some exercises again, mostly with my arms and legs and avoiding anything that might affect the core. Is it okay to start doing core exercises? If so, what would be the safest to start with?

Push ups and planking are slightly painful (a stretching feeling). Should I continue doing them but decrease the reps/time? I can't twist left/right very much either.

Not sure if this information is important, but I'm also seeing a physiotherapist to help mobilize my back since my entire back became overworked and knotted after the accident. I can't use a foam roller painlessly.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 05:22 AM

Your physio is the best one to ask this question, nom. I would advise not doing any core exercises but I don't know for how long. If it hurts, don't do it.

Tick

Mar 25, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Your physio is the best one to ask this question, nom. I would advise not doing any core exercises but I dont know for how long. If it hurts, dont do it.

tick
    My physiotherapist is currently on vacation so I'm left to figure things out for a while. Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this question here in the first place.
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNoodles View Post
    My physiotherapist is currently on vacation so I'm left to figure things out for a while. Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this question here in the first place.
    No problem, nom, I am in healthcare by the way so from time to time am involved with physios. I would advise not doing any work out activities that involve your torso area until your physio gets back from holidays and you can check with her. I am advising this out of experience and the fact that you may be doing more damage then you realize and that will only forestall the healing process. Seeing as you probably enjoy your physical activity and work hard at it, you would want to be completely healed to get back to your regular schedule, right ?

As you can appreciate, not being able to properly interact with the OP, we can't diagnose, recommend or advise on meds.

And she left no one in her place that you can ask who can check with her notes and records ?

Ms tick

Mar 25, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No problem, nom, I am in healthcare by the way so from time to time am involved with physios. I would advise not doing any work out activites that involve your torso area until your physio gets back from holidays and you can check with her. I am advising this out of experience and the fact that you may be doing more damage then you realize and that will only forestall the healing process. Seeing as you probably enjoy your physical activity and work hard at it, you would want to be completely healed to get back to your regular schedule, right ?

As you can appreciate, not being able to properly interact with the OP, we can't diagnose, recommend or advise on meds.

And she left no one in her place that you can ask who can check with her notes and records ?

ms tick
    I see. Unfortunately, it's her own private practice and she doesn't have someone else that is qualified who can take over.

Does this mean I should stop planks and push-ups completely?
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNoodles View Post

Does this mean I should stop planks and push-ups completely?
    Yes, I would discontinue those activities, Nom. Your physio will be happy that you didn't do anything strenuous in your torso area ! You don't want to have a chronic condition happening here whereby you will be limited to your physical workout once and for all !

Good luck.

Tick

Mar 25, 2010, 10:06 AM

Okay. Thanks for the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why the third core of CT & VT are metering core. [ 2 Answers ]

Why the third core of CT & VT are metering core.

Rib injury [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the difference from a bruised rib versus a separated or cracked one? I've been trying to find it on the internet. I have trouble sleeping and pain when sneezing or laughing. Its been over two weeks...

I don't know if my cat is sick or has an rib injury! [ 1 Answers ]

My kitten Storm was laying in the yard when I got back with my cousin from bike riding and when I picked him up he meowed like crazy. Storm is the kind of cat that loves to be held and never meows unless he is hungry. But when my cousin felt his side he would meow. So I laid him on his bed and gave...

How much prime rib do I need [ 5 Answers ]

Im having a party and plan on having about 15 people, how do I calculate how much meat (lbs) should I get... or at least is there a way to calculate per person what I need to order? Thanks

Right rib pain [ 1 Answers ]

The pain is under my right breast and down to the middle on my right side... they checked my gall bladder and it was fine. I am always sick to my stomach at times in my sleep if I roll over on my right side I wake up screaming and then I start to vomit. Went to the er yesterday and the doctor told...

View more questions Search